Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Gaskets for military 5 gal. Jerry can

Default WTB: Gaskets for military 5 gal. Jerry can

I was wondering if any of ya'll would have one or two extra lid gaskets I could buy for my newest
    military Jerry can.
    It did not have the gasket on it when I bought it. The can looks unused, made in 82'...no clue why
    the gasket is gone.
    I can order gaskets online, but would prefer to buy from someone on the forum.
    Even good used ones would work, I'm not that particular as long as the gasket is not wore out.

Thanks.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

We made our gaskets from old tire tubes.

I bought a sheet from mcmaster carr.
    Ive got your lil buddy right here! Patiently waiting for my cheese to finish sliding off my cracker.

No internet since Monday..late to read the comments.

Yep, I have some old red rubber tubes, from years ago..I'll cut me a gasket from one of those.
    I kept saving those tubes for other uses, but I need this can before winter sets in to store extra coal oil.

I think I'd save the red rubber. It's almost like the real thing.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I know Chip..the red tubes don't exist anymore.
    I keep them in a toe sack in a closet..they have not seen daylight in years. I used one of them over the years for my wristrocket..but it's near gone. I have 2 of the red tubes left.

I'm going to town later and stop by the tire shop, see if they have some used tubes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=yzuzta

Color: Black
    Temperature Range: -40° to 225° F
    Tensile Strength: 1,500 psi
    Use indoors and outdoors

Commonly used for inner tubes, this rubber has very low permeability to air—it’s nearly airtight and gas impermeable. Also known as isobutylene isoprene, it combines good weatherability and oxidation resistance. It also has excellent resistance to alkalies and acids.
    Ive got your lil buddy right here! Patiently waiting for my cheese to finish sliding off my cracker.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe find something at a tire shop. Back in my oilfield days, every drilling rig I ever worked had rolls of rubber for gasket material. Maybe 1/16" X 3' X 8'. Never thought about finding out where it came from, but this conversation tells me I need to find out and get a roll.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I can find out too Chip..my son works as a consultant for a drilling company here in Okla.
    He's supposed to bring me another hog on Monday, I'll ask him about those gasket rolls.

I'll check that site out Insane-hb...thanks for posting.

Trapper, is the old red inner tube material better than say the black tube material used these days? Also is the black inner tube material from the 50-70's better than material used today?
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!