Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My chickens and other fowl flock

Default My chickens and other fowl flock

Renee, when do you expect to start on your adventure, now that you have the land?

I'm going to post some photos of my flock in a few minutes. Waiting for a few more to upload.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Right now I'm in the fund raising phase. I've been selling costumes on etsy, things are starting to tick up. I have one costume I have been working on for 5 years(you know, like a couple day's work every year or so) worth at least $800. I have 100 hours of hand embroidery and beading into it. The biggest hangup I had was drafting the pattern. I'm way too much of a stickler for accuracy when replicating a costume, so it is taking waaaaay too long to finish. I've also got several 3D prop commissions to finish for Halloween.

That being said, I only have to borrow my sister's pickup to start accumulating the free items, like the tarps, camper shells and pallets. I would have hoped to be goat-ready by the end of the month. Chickens, we will see. If I can't be chicken ready by the time people stop selling on craiglist for the winter, I'll just do the Spring chick order in March.

Starting out, this is the layout of our bird barns. We have 5 barns with 8 pens in each one and a huge sectioned flight pen for each barn.

Under construction in 2004

Hubby cutting the flnaks for the rafters

This is one barn before the flight pen was built to the South side.

Hubby feeding some Sex Link chicks in the flight pen. All our birds are tame.

One of our White Peafowl 1 1/2 years old. His name is Cloud.

2 of our Rio Grande Wild Turkey breeding pairs in the flight pen.

A breeding pair of our Millie Fleurs getting ready to go to a show.

Our Maylay Crested Fireback Roo breeder

More to come. Still up loading

Yeah, take it slow and steady. Its always a work in progress and it never ends.

Silver Phoenix breeding pair

Cameo Peacock

One of our Red Golden cocks and one of his 3 hens spooning..

Mandarin drakes and hens.

This is one of the breeds I developed crossing a Red Silkie with a Berchin Modern through 7 generations to get this pattern.

My White Silkie family.

My Midnight Peacock and Peahen breeder pair.

Our Amherst Pheasant male breeder

More to come. Still uploading.

Royal blue peachicks

One of our Blue Peacock teens who is rightly named Romeo. He's very affectionate with people. He follows me around like a dog and loves to jumpu p on my shoulders but he got too big and heavy. I had to start picking him up before he jumped up.

One of our breeder pairs of Sultan. Hen and Roo.

Another one of our Red Golden Pheasant breeders. This is Redman.

And we have several Barred Rock, Astro, Americana, Buff Giants, Orps, White Leghorn etc just for food eggs and meat.

Here's my layout plan. As seen, it is about 70 x 118? I think? I increased from 64 x 112 because it didn't line up with the existing fence posts. I went in on Saturday and staked out my t post spots. The garden side will function as an additional chicken area. They can eat my garden bugs! This plan takes up .20 acre and I can use up to .50 acre for what I'm paying in rent right now. I figure I'll take my other .30 toward the South when I can afford the fence. I'll add gates and allow it to over grow for the goats and then open it up to them every once in a while to eat down.

Those are some fancy birds! I always loved peacocks. There we some folks who had some near us when I was going up. We would always look for them on the drive to Church.

Beautiful birds
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Thanks! I wish we lived closer together. Id be happy to come over and be your strawman. I love building things! Thats a nice setup!