Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I got my pasture! So excited!!!

Default I got my pasture! So excited!!!

I'm renting pasture a few minutes from my house. I'll be putting Nigerian dwarf goats, chickens and New Zealand rabbits on it. I just went out there today to measure out the fencing. The current pasture is over 2 acres and I'm renting up to a quarter of that (half acre), but for now, I'm setting up on 1/5 acre to start with. The plan is to take advantage of the yearly fall livestock liquidation I've observed on craigslist for the last few years. I'm guessing people start to evaluate their feed needs to winter over and decide to thin the herd. I'm hoping to get 3-4 does/doelings now and see if I can keep them alive over the winter After than, start the learning process of getting them bred.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Congrats to you, sounds informative please keep us up to date with your adventures
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Chickens, get some chickens. People tire of keeping a few and you can find them for free if you promise not to eat them. Layers will produce eggs even in the winter. A good fenced yard and coop and you are in business. Good luck on your venture and it sounds like you will need more pasture soon.

Very cool, Keep us up to date. Goats are in my Future as well, but I'm still a little over a year away from moving permanently to the BOL. Any advice or lessons learned would be helpful.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Tips hat.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

Even though I farm in summer, I do not have land to speak of. I sharecrop, which in my situation, benefits me more than having land to pay taxes on, and land payments.
    With little land, I stake my Nubian milkers out on good grass on a neighbor, which I have permission, and I mow areas where I won't let the goats, i.e. briars/weeds.
    Then I have winter wheat for some green in winter for the geese, ducks and goats.

I've nearly got rid of all my chickens, they don't lay enough for me.
    I got Khaki Campbell ducks, and they lay 250 to 300 eggs a year..way more than chickens do.
    They don't eat much more than chickens.

Some of those people on Craigslist are pretty proud of fowl, I see some chickens where they're asking 20.00 each for common breed chickens...too rich for my blood.

Make sure the fowl you buy at sales or even Craigslist are not sickly, like having the rattles...they'll spread it to your healthy flock and you'll be doctoring chickens. Keep the new chickens separate from your flock for at least a month.

Good luck.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

I intend to get some chickens, if the price is right and they are breeds I want. I intend to order chicks of specific breeds I want, but not until next spring. I might just take what I can get for chickens now, just in case the SHTF before Spring. That way I at least have them. If it waits until Spring to collapse, I'll probably butcher the craigslist chickens and order my chicks after they have vacated the premises. I do want to avoid disease, and most of what I have seen on craigslist is pretty good for my area. I actually saw someone offering a brood hen with 11 chicks. They want someone to take her and the chicks, and then give her back once they don't need her. Weird.

I'm wanting egg and meat birds, but I'm also interested in hatching chicks of pure breeds to sell locally. I'm going to try something strange. I'm going to have a hen flock and a rooster only flock. I've read that it can be done, especially if the roosters grow up together. You have a breeding pen and you put select hens in with a rooster for a couple of hours to breed. If you leave the rooster out of his own flock for too long, he is viewed as a stranger when he returns. I'd let the rooster have his way a couple hours a day for a week, then take him out and leave the girls for egg collection. If it doesn't work, all the boys save one get butchered, no problems.

My parcel is located in the NW corner of a former horse pasture. They will probably advertise for horses again once I'm up and running. I'm trying to get a good setup going without breaking the bank, so much of what I'm using is going to be free or dirt cheap. I'm trying a combined goat house/chicken coop made out of straw bales, tarps, pallets and free pickup canopies off craigslist. I get free pallets from my husband's work, free tarps from a billboard company, $3 straw bales and hay just up the street. It will be a very interesting setup...

The boxes at top and bottom will be rabbit hutches, and this layout is what I want eventually. Bare bones setup will be the perimeter fence, center fence and the straw bale coop/goat house.

Once a rooster mounts a hen, she is good for 3 days, then you can put the rooster back in.
    Put the roosters so they can see the hens..it gets them fired up.

I have an old black hen that is nearing 15 years old, and she crows like a rooster during the spring. She is too old to breed, she won't take and she's too old to even lay anymore, but I've had her so long, she has a home from now on.
    I have her and 6 other hens, one rooster..I've culled out and sold the rest, replacing them with the ducks.
    It's funny to listen to her trying to crow.
    She don't quite sound like a rooster, more like a garbled, screeching sound. She'll throw her old head back, buck up and try her best.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

your enthusiasm and excitement is making me want to do this too... I must see pics if you can when you get it all set up
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!