Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart Geiger product review

Default Smart Geiger product review

I just added a new item to my EDC and I thought I'd do a product review for you guys.

Being that I live in and work in the DFW area I think my Area has a much higher chance of a Radiological event then say out in East Texas where my BOL is, as such I'd wanted a Geiger counter for my EDC.

I had thought about buying a NukAlert for my key-chain, however they require very high doses of radiation to alarm (1000 uSv/h), so a NukAlert seemed rather useless to me as I wanted warnings WAY below 1000 uSv/h (1000 uSv/h is almost 10,000X the natural background radiation level) I didn't find that sensitive enough. )

I ended up buying a Soeks 01M Plus http://www.amazon.com/SOEKS-01M-Gene...keywords=soeks which is a very nice Geiger Counter/Dosimeter but I still wanted something I could keep on my keychain, the Soeks resides in my GHB.

I found this little "Smart Geiger" on Amazon for $30 http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Geiger-R...s=Smart+geiger Being that the reviews were not all that great I was not expecting much. It works by plugging into the headphone jack of your smartphone and has an application you download in the app store.

I gave the "Smart Geiger" a test run yesterday and today with some Radioactive test sources and I am quite shocked how well this $30 Geiger counter works

Below is a Picture of the "Smart Geiger" measuring the normal background radiation level next to my Soeks 01M Plus

If you look closely you can see the Smart Geiger only measured 2 counts in approximately 3 minutes, so you can see that the resolution is no where near as good as a Geiger Counter with a "GM" tube, but it's still giving a reasonably accurate measurement.

Next up are comparisons while measuring a known Uranium sample

Notice the Count level on the Smart Geiger application. It's measured 372 counts on approximately 6 minutes which is way over the 4 to 6 counts you'd expect for normal background in that same time period.

Next is a test measuring a Thorium Lantern Mantle

So this little $30 Geiger Counter works pretty darn well

What I have noticed is that it is not near as sensitive as my Soeks 01M Plus, which is to be expected.

The Soeks uses a real GM Tube while the "Smart Geiger" is using a photo sensor to achieve the same results. What this means is that while monitoring the normal background radiation the Smart Geiger might only measure 2 or 3 counts in a 3 minute time period while the Soeks will measure around 50 counts during the same time period measuring the same background. Both use algorithms to deduce the radiation level based off of how many counts the sensor receives. So while the Soeks has a much finer resolution, the Smart Geiger still gets the job done and provides results comparable to a GM tube based Geiger Counter

So now how do I get this Smart Geiger on my Keychain for EDC

I found these little keychain pill containers on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s02 and they looked like they just might work

When I tried I found that the Smart Geiger was just about 1/8" too long

So break out the Drill and put a hole into one end of the Pill container ( get the hole close to center)

Put the Smart Geiger in the Pill Container, you can see the tip of the headphone jack just sticking out of the newly formed hole.

Add a little Electrical tape to waterproof the hole, and prevent the Pill Container from unscrewing on it's own.

So now for under $40 total I have a Geiger Counter I can carry on my Keychain and if there is ever a reason to suspect a radiological event, I'll be able to quickly and easily determine if it's time to GTFO
    Last edited by Tdale; 08-22-2015 at 05:24 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Very nice find. Results appear to be satisfactory. One question will it see Alpha, and Beta/Gamma both? I know some of the instruments we use will only see one or the other.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Very nice find. Results appear to be satisfactory. One question will it see Alpha, and Beta/Gamma both? I know some of the instruments we use will only see one or the other.
    It definitely will not detect Alpha, you need a detector with an Alpha window to detect Alpha particles as even a single sheet of paper will stop Alpha radiation.

The Smart Geiger claims that it will only detect Gamma and X-Ray, but I highly suspect that it is picking up Beta as well.
    Last edited by Tdale; 08-22-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

About what I thought. Alpha is much harder to read. I agree, if it sees Gamma, it almost surely will see Beta as well.

Thanks again for the tip. I will be checking into these.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Thanks again for the heads up on a product tdale... I found the I-355 mototalk phones you talked about here awhile back in another thread.... they are awesome.
    been shopping around for just this type of thing as well. I will def be getting me these as well for the keychain and bob.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Thank You so very much for the type of post I am ALWAYS waiting on. This is the kind of info and time staking product review that I deem TRULY useful to this community. Thanks again.
    Reports that the infection was spread by rage-infected monkeys have now been dismissed as bull****

Thanks, lots of really great info there.

So, I'm about 40, 50 miles due east from NYC, depending on how one defines NYC, if state manufactured nuke went off in NYC, do you thint that SOEKS would still work? Or would the side effect EMP from the nuke render it useless?

Joe - NY

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    Thanks, lots of really great info there.

So, I'm about 40, 50 miles due east from NYC, depending on how one defines NYC, if state manufactured nuke went off in NYC, do you thint that SOEKS would still work? Or would the side effect EMP from the nuke render it useless?

Joe - NY
    Don't know, EMP is a subject with many different opinions as to potential effects, yet it's not a subject with a ton of publically available research.

IIRC the EMP commission report said something about most electronics surviving an EMP as long as they were not connected to an antenna over 18" or so (might have been 30") either way if an EMP kills the Soeks it's time to GTFO

I have a Lionel CDV-700 6b with a pancake probe at home, being that it's older tech it should fair better after an EMP, but it's also not small, convenient, and gentile on batteries like the Soeks. Definitely not something I can keep in my GHB or on my Keychain :-)
    Last edited by Tdale; 08-22-2015 at 11:25 PM.

[QUOTE=Tdale;691702].................... either way if an EMP kills the Soeks it's time to GTFO

QUOTE]

ROTFLDMAO!!!

Thanks T.

Joe - NY

Thanks Tdale! I just ordered one of each!

Ill test them out in the CT room at work once they get here.