Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yaesu FT-857D or FT-897D

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Default yaesu FT-857D or FT-897D

Going to buy one of these within the next two months. Looking for anyone on here that has used them both that can do a comparison of the two for me since I have not.
    Uses of the radio will be for both base and mobile operations as I am never sitting still for very long.

Also looking to build my own repeater for my own personal use post shtf. Something that will be built then secured and safe until needed. Nothing cheap as heck but I am not rich either.

Also looking to buy a good commercial HF antenna (something to talk world wide or as far as my equipment both now and in future will allow), as versatile over as many bands as possible. Criteria for antenna is it needs to be a wire one and mobile but sturdy enough for extended periods if i do sit still long. ie... a yo yo or something along these lines.

Yes I am a Ham, KE0AVY (tech tag) been one for over a year studying now to upgrade to General soon.

In addition if anybody on here has experience using Motorola Saber radios, looking for both UHF and VHF versions to have as well for local (both internal and external) comms.

thanks guys and gals in advance for any help on this. I have been putting this off month after month and now i decided to say to hell with money and get it done now in case my gut is right and the sky does fall soon.

I have read this on the comparison but was looking at it from a prepper pov and not much on here about that.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0d3e2DZOeWxZ_A

Found this radio pack while researching thought some one might have used this as well looks pretty usefulhttp://www.powerportstore.com/worldpack-706.htm
    Last edited by Sandman1; 08-18-2015 at 03:36 PM.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

If your going to use mobile, the FT-857 is smaller and easier to mount.. I have both models, or had both, loaned the FT897 to a friend.
    I have the 857 in my Jeep, don't use it much because trying to find a freq etc in a moving vehicle is about as bad as texting, and both these radios are heavily menu driven. Usually only use mine for HF if I'm stopped someplace, or on a net at a set freq pre setup before I start moving.. Don't use it for 2m/70cm since only 50 watts on 2m . and I spend most amount of time on 2m simplex.
    Last edited by jnr0104; 08-18-2015 at 04:05 PM.

the 897 has been discontinued.

Aside from that, the only benefits it has over the 857 (imo) are that the larger control panel makes it simpler to operate (don't have as deep of menu system to memorize) and that it has an internal battery pack. However, when functioning on the internal battery pack it forces lower power output.

On the antenna, you're better off building one. I have 65' of insulated wire on my roof (in contact with the roof) with an offcenter feedpoint (off-center fed dipole) and I talk all over the world on 100W with it.

857 hands down. For a HF antenna, check out the Carolina Windom. One model cover 10 thru 80. The other 10 thru 160, it's about double the length.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

thanks guys, all of you.
    Yeah I knew it was discontinued but you can still find new ones from time to time. I am still undecided
    the main thing on the antenna is I want it to be a mobile one that will withstand being used as a base one for times i need it out for awhile

Look at the EARCHI end fed http://www.earchi.org/proj_homebrew.html
    You could run that as a base station antenna and when you're ready to hit the road, roll it up, pack it up and roll. I bought a 500' spool of 14ga insulated stranded core from home depot and experimented. Lots of plans out there. Figure out how to make a resonant antenna that won't need a tuner. Then figure out how to use a balun to make your antenna more tolerable to your rig with or without a tuner. Then add a wide-range tuner.

There's a long thread over at the arfcom HAM forum on off center fed dipoles, how and why they work. That's what I'm using here, and if I needed to I could take it down in 10min and be on the road with it. I've also got an EARCHI end-fed in a bag ready to go.

In a pinch, I could pace off the right lengths of a barbed wire fence and with a few strategic cuts build an antenna on the fly out of locally found materials.

Though depending on how mobile you want it to be, you could also look at something like the hamstick antennas for a vehicle mount. Those can be used as base station antennas also, but aren't as efficient as a length of wire.

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    Look at the EARCHI end fed http://www.earchi.org/proj_homebrew.html
    You could run that as a base station antenna and when you're ready to hit the road, roll it up, pack it up and roll. I bought a 500' spool of 14ga insulated stranded core from home depot and experimented. Lots of plans out there. Figure out how to make a resonant antenna that won't need a tuner. Then figure out how to use a balun to make your antenna more tolerable to your rig with or without a tuner. Then add a wide-range tuner.

There's a long thread over at the arfcom HAM forum on off center fed dipoles, how and why they work. That's what I'm using here, and if I needed to I could take it down in 10min and be on the road with it. I've also got an EARCHI end-fed in a bag ready to go.

In a pinch, I could pace off the right lengths of a barbed wire fence and with a few strategic cuts build an antenna on the fly out of locally found materials.

Though depending on how mobile you want it to be, you could also look at something like the hamstick antennas for a vehicle mount. Those can be used as base station antennas also, but aren't as efficient as a length of wire.
    thanks rob i will be checking out these and the others reccomendations as well tomorrow

Sandman, when you say mobile you do mean vehicle, and not portable or backpack? I hate to recommend this as an antenna but the ATAS 120a is made to work with the 857,897 with the built in tuner. They have bad reviews, but I DO have one and with the proper setup,GROUND, it works pretty good covers 6-40m, and has an additional groundplane kit for base use. I have one on the jeep, and after I worked out a few grounding bugs and learned it has to initialize every now and then it works fine for when I want to change bands.Use it on 40 quite a bit for checking into nets when mobile. I also use diamond single band loaded whips without no need for a tuner and they work well also., But probably not as a base. I use a LNR precision end fed 1/2 wave dipole for whatever band I want as my base antennas, easy and fast to put up take down , I also carry 3 in my pack in the Jeep 75m,40m, and 20m. They do make some now that cover up to 4 bands, with good reviews but I have not tried them .Yet.
    Last edited by jnr0104; 08-19-2015 at 07:01 AM.

the ATAS120 is a good antenna. I know several folks that use them. One point. There isn't a "built in tuner" on those radios. They're set up to control the antenna. Screwdriver antennas are tuned by tweaking the antenna. It's more efficient than a matching network that is what the typical tuner uses, but they're pricier too.

Quote Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
    Sandman, when you say mobile you do mean vehicle, and not portable or backpack? I hate to recommend this as an antenna but the ATAS 120a is made to work with the 857,897 with the built in tuner. They have bad reviews, but I DO have one and with the proper setup,GROUND, it works pretty good covers 6-40m, and has an additional groundplane kit for base use. I have one on the jeep, and after I worked out a few grounding bugs and learned it has to initialize every now and then it works fine for when I want to change bands.Use it on 40 quite a bit for checking into nets when mobile. I also use diamond single band loaded whips without no need for a tuner and they work well also., But probably not as a base. I use a LNR precision end fed 1/2 wave dipole for whatever band I want as my base antennas, easy and fast to put up take down , I also carry 3 in my pack in the Jeep 75m,40m, and 20m. They do make some now that cover up to 4 bands, with good reviews but I have not tried them .Yet.
    actually both mobile for car and pack.