Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding a hand pump to an existig well.

In some places you can drive a well down by hand. When I lived in MN it was easy in our area. I could sometimes drive a 1-1/4" shallow well down in an hour. On our farm we would often pull the garden well in the fall so we would not hit it when plowed the garden. Then we would drive the well down again in the spring.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I dug, or should I say water drilled most of it myself during the day and hubby took over in the evening when he got home. We had it dug, primed and up and pumping in three days. We used the method of the guy on YouTube that stood on the tailgate of hit pickup. He shows you how to build the well head, the drill bit and how to hook up the two hoses for forced water drilling. We are mostly sandy loam here so it was pretty smooth going until we hit a root about 7 ft down. That was the hardest part, getting that root out of the way. After that, it was pretty smooth sailing. We hit some red sandy clay and then a thin layer, about a foot and a half of pea sized gravel then river sand and the first aquifer at 80 ft.
    that is awesome... I might have to try that someday
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

How do you know when you hit water? Any reasonably priced frost free pumps out there?

This is the well pump we have. It's rated for 300'.
    http://www.survivalunlimited.com/deepwellpump.htm
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

How do you know when you hit water?
    If you can fill the well pipe with water then you do Not have a well. When you reach a good water supply it will be impossible to fill the well pipe with water.

Makes sense!