Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a hand pump to an existig well.

Default Adding a hand pump to an existig well.

My house uses well water, the well cap is right out my front door and the pump and tank are in my finished basement. I want to add some sort of hand pump system in case of log term power outage, any suggestions?
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

My wife mentioned the same thing just yesterday. I think this is the one she was looking at: http://www.preparewise.com/hand-water-well-pump

Quote Originally Posted by pinetopfirefighter View Post
    My wife mentioned the same thing just yesterday. I think this is the one she was looking at: http://www.preparewise.com/hand-water-well-pump
    I had never seen that style before. With the small diameter it must pump really slow but the small size would allow it to pass by most pitless adapters maybe.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

It really depends on how deep your well is. I wouldn't expect to get much H2O from a 100 foot reach. Most drilled wells are hundredS of feet deep here, but the top of the static water level (top water level before the electric pump cuts in and starts to drain the column, in the casing, down) is frequently within 100'.

I have a dug well at my BIL, about 16' down, away from any source of contamination. We put in a 3 foot cement well tile in, so its easy to drop a bucket in an emergency. Unfortunately, it would be something else that needs defending in a SHTF situation.

BOL has several streams running from on property springs, that water isn't much of an issue.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Unfortunately, it would be something else that needs defending in a SHTF situation.
    Damn right it would be, I can see all the poor people around your place now with their containers screaming how unfair it is that you have access to aqua.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Thats why you need to hide it. Ours isnt visible and the lead line is below the surface and carried away from the main well. We played a game with mother nature and she accepted it.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Well that was very nice of her... lol
    Our well is only a shallow well, I am thinking of tapping in to a very deep one on the abandoned property beside us... for use in harder times ahead.
    But the shallow well is piped into the house through the basement wall, and we are about to change the well house so it is a bit more inconspicuous.

Did you dig your own or have someone dig it for you?
    When I first bought this place 20 years ago, we started out on a 3 family community well. Since then, we weened ourself off after digging our own well. It's easy to do. Just takes time and patience.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

It was already here when we moved... just test it often, to ensure safe.
    I have seen a lot of vids on doing it your self, your right looks like it is tough but not that hard and WELL worth it.

I dug, or should I say water drilled most of it myself during the day and hubby took over in the evening when he got home. We had it dug, primed and up and pumping in three days. We used the method of the guy on YouTube that stood on the tailgate of hit pickup. He shows you how to build the well head, the drill bit and how to hook up the two hoses for forced water drilling. We are mostly sandy loam here so it was pretty smooth going until we hit a root about 7 ft down. That was the hardest part, getting that root out of the way. After that, it was pretty smooth sailing. We hit some red sandy clay and then a thin layer, about a foot and a half of pea sized gravel then river sand and the first aquifer at 80 ft.