Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dream house

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Not to brag, well ok I'm bragging, but ICF and passive solar... We've used less than 3 cords of wood so far this winter, and never turned on the furnace once. Been a generally mild winter temp wise with about the average number of sunny days, we had a fire in the wood burner on Saturday and I stocked it up before going to bed. Yesterday was sunny with a high of 37, low of 19 last night. Thermometer on the wall says it's 66 in the house right now and they're calling for another sunny day in the mid-thirties so not even going to build a fire again today. Only non-Sol supplied heat we used yesterday was from the kitchen stove while making dinner.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

These recommendations are based on my experience here in the Denver area.

1. Water – get a well, if possible have both city water and a well.
    2. Sewage – get a septic tank that is a bit oversized for the house
    3. An oversized garage – have 4' between cars and 3' on the outside or either car. Also have it extra deep to accommodate longer vehicles. Have a 10” garage door rather than a standard 8' door to accommodate a vehicle with raised suspension.
    4. Laminated safety glass in all windows. No it won't stop a bullet, but it will stop a baseball bat or a crowbar from breaking through.
    5. Full, or more than full, basement with a “hidden room” (a concealed door) for storage/saferoom.