Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dream house

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by theloneone View Post
    ..... I imagine OPSEC is gone when the blueprints are registered and the permits have to be done.
    And when the building inspector comes (around here, they inspect at every phase, footings, cement walls, etc, etc, etc, etc). The best would be to build a modest house with regular basement, and save a bunch of $$, get the CO, then when everyone is gone, dig your separate facility, maybe tunnel to the basement or garage or what ever. Just plan for it, such as keeping your septic/well/utility lines away from the area. Maybe "till" a 10 foot deep area to make sure there is nothing unexpected underground, that is then back filled and call it your "garden area", for later, easy excavation for its real purpose.

Unfortunately, this is all time consuming and will take year(s) to complete. I'm not sure there is enough time for that, or if you are financing, the bank will want to know where all the $$ went, LOLOL
    Last edited by Winni; 07-03-2015 at 05:29 AM.

I would build the basement first, larger than the intended footprint of the house and with 10' ceilings. I would have 2ft concrete ceiling poured, and a 2ft thick dividing wall (separating the portion of the basement that was larger than the footprint of the home, making a fallout shelter.) also the 2ft wall would support the home, so necessary.

I would build the home with ICF's, with lots of storage. I would build with a geothermal heat pump (the approx 38 SEER water furnace).

Solar panels
    Wood stove
    Rocket stove

Garage that fits my truck, with a pallet suspended and hidden in the ceiling. This would be a "bug out pallet" that would be ready to go with equipment/food/water/ammo/etc. Just lower a rope and out of the ceiling it drops, tie downs already staged on the pallet.

A radio tower
    A well with solar/manual backup

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Another vote for ICF, and passive solar heating if building in Colorado. Great combo that will save you lots of money on heating costs during normal times, and has lots of SHTF advantages. Nothing complicated in architecting or building passive solar, only tricky part can be getting enough internal mass (inside the insulation, the concrete sandwiched between the ICF forms doesn't count). We used a raised concrete slab for the upper level, 3.5" thick, with tile over top. A wood burning stove on the lower level (rated for heating about 1,000 sq ft area, but the home is 2,200 sq ft) is our primary heat source, and we burn less than half the wood per season of similar sized homes around us. The best part is you don't really have to do anything either, just calculate the roof overhang so the winter sun shines in but the summer sun doesn't. ICF makes a near perfect prepper home just by itself - tornado, earthquake, and fire resistant, plus high insulation value, nearly airtight, and bullet-proof. Easy to add an air filtration system, panic room, or reinforced entry doors when building with ICF too. I don't sell or build them, just a very happy owner that will never live in a non-ICF home ever again.

Other than that, private well and septic of course so you don't rely on public sources for either. Whole house generator. And unless you're planning on a large solar backup system to run everything off electric if the SHTF, then you might consider a propane evaporative frig/freezer and kitchen stove, front loading washing machine and gas dryer, and oversized water pressure tank. That's the route we went anyway, high efficiency appliances that require less electric and water to operate, and extra propane onsite to last at least a year of normal use.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Full height plus basement (finished 9' or more).
    ICF construction (you can face it with whatever you want above grade)
    Triple-glazed windows with roll-down shutters
    Well, with 3-4 IBC totes for water storage in the basement
    Gas/Propane/real wood heating
    Metal roof
    Interior and exterior french drain system
    Septic with two separate leech fields
    large door to basement from inside, and outside
    Escape tunnel from basement
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    Two words..... Burt gummer
    Who's he? Some toothless guy?
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Some safety/security ideas that I will be incorporating into my house (if I ever get around to building it). And if done right, they shouldn't draw any extra attention from anyone.

Every entrance will have 2 exterior out-swing doors, with very little glass, (e.g. coming from the yard [exterior door] into a mudroom [exterior door] into the house). Out-swing doors are harder to kick/break in and they will have to kick in 2 of them to get into the house.

Doors and frames will be metal with 3-point dead-bolts

Garage will be detached (too easy to break into)

Functioning shutters (steel lined)

IP security camera system (can be run off battery/solar)

I'd prefer pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana) over roses. Those blades will cut you to pieces and they get huge, about 3m and even taller when they bloom off white fluffy plumes. Roses are too flashy and draw attention. Beautiful, yes, but in a SHTF situation, you dont want peeps LQQKING in your direction, right?
    Pampas grass is elligant, but not flashy and colorful.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I have been dreaming of these guys. 12" thick concrete walls sound awesome.
    Www.earthshelteredtech.com

I am reading these posts with interest, and am fascinated by the clever ideas you guys have come up with. I not long ago decided that if I do get serious about preparedness, bugging in is the only viable approach for me. I have no bushcrafting or wilderness survival skills, and building a bug-out shelter in the woods isn't practical for me. Nor would I know how to survive out there anyway. Luckily, my house is well-situated, in a rural area, far from the nearest city, and I don't think I'd be on anyone's radar.

Perfect? 20 acres about 10-20 miles out of town, sloping south with a spring, creek, and mostly forested. Semi-dam the creek for a long run of hydro power. 2 acres cleared for concrete formed house house, garden, and livestock. 2000 sq foot split between upstairs and basement. Once that's built, cut into the basement slab and drop another 400ish sq ft of hidden sub-basement in.