Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flooding in TX, Anyone Impacted?

Default Flooding in TX, Anyone Impacted?

Wondering if anyone has been impacted? Just watching the updates on CNN. Pretty insane.

Joe - NY

We've been doing fine here just north of Dallas, it seems most of the major flooding hit south of us.

But this has been a crazy year, the lake by me (Lake Lewisville) went from 70% full to over 100% in under 2 weeks and water is till going over the spillway.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I've been wondering too since so many of you folks are from Texas. It was sad to read about the mom and her two kids who were swept away by the flood waters.

Late 90's I lived in Round Rock, just north of Austin... I remember bad flooding there. This looks like it is way worse than that. Just be carefull.
    Reports that the infection was spread by rage-infected monkeys have now been dismissed as bull****

I'm on Lake Texoma (Okla. side) and it's of course flooding big time.
    The water is up to the Roosevelt bridge..then past the bridge, water is up to the pavement for 1 1/2 miles.
    Signs are on the road to close the bridge if the water comes up another couple inches.

I have about 15 more feet before it gets my place, but I have to keep tabs on the road out of here, only way out now, and water is up to the pavement.

Lots of bridges washed away, roads are covered in water in many areas.

Tornado's have been a huge problem in my area, killed a gal just east of me yesterday evening.

As of yesterday, 122 tornado warnings (statewide) from May 1 to the 25th.

Some underground cellars are floating out of the ground.

I'm supposed to be baling hay at this time of year...ain't happening. Most people that spray for weeds in their hay meadows have not been able to, over a month of rain every to every other day, several inches at a time.

This year is worse than the drought, at least we could bale some hay, even though we had to cover more acreage.

Wheat farmers are hurting bad..water is killing the wheat crop.
    Gardens in the area are yellow. Even the bermuda grass is dead here, just weeds in yards making it, and they are turning dingy yellow.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

We've had a few road closures, but nothing serious. The major stuff in the news is concentrated within 60 miles south and east of Austin for the most part. Some weekend destination spots got hit during a busy weekend. I'm thinking of driving down and volunteering for a few days to help out. Search and recovery maybe.

Just getting lake and aquifers filled up. A nice hurricane late summer and we should be set.

Amended to say that Houston which is downriver from everywhere is catching all the water now.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 05-26-2015 at 07:41 PM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Our yard is a swamp, garden is suffering. My niece is in Houston, her apartments have water up to the top of the steps. 2 more feet and they're in trouble. No way out right now.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

The road to our house, from the highway to our driveway, has 4 water crossing. The 1st crossing we come to on the way to town was 4-6 inches under water for about 120 feet. My wife was stranded Sunday. She decided not to try crossing in her Honda civic. She missed church.
    777 FGG

Water was 3 feet over the bridge on the road to the house. The back half of the lot was under water. Part of the driveway washed out. We lost power for about three hours. Supper got cooked on the "outdoor cooking center" with propane instead of the electric stove in the house. Found out the 400 watt inverter will run a 32" tv and the satellite reciever but need more battery to keep it going.

All in all a minor inconvenience for us. Others didn't fare as well. Lives and homes were lost.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    We've been doing fine here just north of Dallas, it seems most of the major flooding hit south of us.

But this has been a crazy year, the lake by me (Lake Lewisville) went from 70% full to over 100% in under 2 weeks and water is till going over the spillway.

I've been keeping a close eye on Lake Lewisville. The Corp of Engineers have released multiple studies showing that the dam is in extremely poor shape. It has multiple deep cracks in it as well as multiple leaks that it has had for years. As of right now, the water is 2' 4" deep going over the spill way. If the dam were to break, you are looking at thousands of people dying as they are all living in the flood plain in Collin and Dallas county.

I'm a ways south of all of this and we have been real lucky so far. LOTS of rain, tornadoes all around us, but we have not been hit head on yet.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best