Thread: Altoid tin strobe light/flashlight

Default Altoid tin strobe light/flashlight

My mind is constantly thinking about things, constantly. So I have been trying to take advantage of this and come up with a way to help protect my family.

So we all can agree that having a flashlight near you when you sleep is a good idea. A REALLY bright one can help temporarily blind a home invader, but you have to hold the flashlight in order to do this which gives you only one hand to defend yourself(try changing firearm magazines with one hand!). Strobe lights can be handy at temporarily disabling people as well, but it has the potential to do the same to you if it keeps flashing, or if you look at the strobe light. So how do you make a small flashlight that is powerful, and incorporate a strobe light?

I'd like to introduce the Altoid strobe light!

I found some 800 lumen LED chips, a strobe light flasher module designed for brake lights (flashes a few times then goes solid on), a VERY small 12 volt battery, some ABS plastic, a small switch, and an Altoid tin.

http://vid8.photobucket.com/albums/a...psfurefsns.mp4

When the lid is closed, it looks like a standard Altoid tin. I'll be keeping this on my night stand, and I might add another 12 volt battery to this so it is even brighter. The video was taken with my potato cell phone in a closet with no other light source.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Nice job, one question. Why not remove the lid, or at least alter it so it doesn't have to be opened?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Nice job, one question. Why not remove the lid, or at least alter it so it doesn't have to be opened?

I thought about that but I wanted to keep it as low key as possible. When it is sitting on my night stand, the switch is facing the wall so it does not stick out like a sore thumb. Not only that, but when you open it, if you open the lid up partially then it acts like a reflector and you are able to aim the strobe light while it is still sitting on a flat surface.

I love outside the box thinking but my simple mind is stumped

How will you be deploying this to where it's effective against a bad guy and not still affect you?
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    I love outside the box thinking but my simple mind is stumped

How will you be deploying this to where it's effective against a bad guy and not still affect you?

The lid, if partially opened, acts as a reflector. So it can be positioned to not blind you. I prefer to make 100% certain that the strange figure in my door way is not a family member before I ventilate them with some high speed lead.

I purchased about twenty led modules that look just like the one you have there. I have used five now and like the light output. They seem to produce a lot of heat per lumen, not really a huge problem but does your module get hot in the altoids tin? I have been using large heatsinks to keep them cool at full power.