Thread: Composte Tea

Default Composte Tea

Anyone make their own composte tea?

What's your set up?

Is it worth it?
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

I have a large tumbler with kitchen scraps in it that has composted down really well. I usually just put a bucket under it and add some water to the tumbler. It finds the screened vent hole and fills the bucket. We also have about 6 keyhole garden beds with 1/4" welded steel mesh baskets built into the ground that we add scraps from the kitchen to and when watering the compost tea flows out into the soil. Those beds seem to do a little better than the non keyhole beds.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

yes, I do and it is worth it.

I did an experiment where i watered some plants (same bed same type of plant) with compost tea and control plants with only water. Maybe a 20% difference - it is not going to make your plants 2X the size, but the difference was obvious.

I have a 30 gallon plastic bin filled usually with about 25 gallons water.
    Runs 24X7 outdoors so stays warm (key to enhansed biological activity)

Right now I dip it out with a bucket, but I bought a tap that I will put a few inches from the bottom soon as I scratch off my voluminous to do list to where that gets to the top, LOL.
    Into that barrel I feed a cheap aquarium pump with aquarium stone for aeration.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then just take a big double handful of compost and dump it in - maybe once per month.
    I also add some essential micronutrients / mycorrhizal just to kick it up a notch.

Then I just put it in a watering can and use on the plants when they need water in leiu of regular water.
    Might need to run it thru a strainer to keep from plugging up the holes in your watering can

Thanks AK47 & explo
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

someday I hope to figure out what magical ingredient this guy is using, LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4FL0u1wvg

Just naturally awesome soil and lots of daylight

I would love to set up a drum with this tea. Used to frequent a garden center that had it basically free for customers. That was some good stuff.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields