Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GI Lensatic compass and navigation

Default GI Lensatic compass and navigation

I have been wanting to relearn my old orienteering skills so i bought a military manual on map reading and navigation. However, many compasses that say they are a GI lensatic compass are either expensive or look like knock offs. Where can I buy a real or at least accurate lensatic compass? Also, does anyone know of a good place to get accurate topo maps other than USGS?

Ok for basic orienteering, any decent gi equivalent compass will work.

Keep in mind tritium works a bit better than the cheap glow in the dark. 50-80 frns isn't bad.

For more accuracy on the move, or for field " site " work, I do prefer the M2 Artillery compass. Mils r more accurate than degrees.

For old school navigation, the holy cross is actually a transit.

A good star chart for those beautiful clear nights, help ya keep up with everything.

Whats lensatic?

Joe -NY

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    Whats lensatic?

Joe -NY
    http://lensaticcompass.blogspot.com/...c-compass.html

A lensatic compass is one with a magnifying lens on the sight.
    Live Free or Die

Why get a lensatic? An orienteering style (rotating bezel (ring), rectangular base plate) is easier to learn/teach, much less expensive, and more accurate than a GI lensatic.

Just because the military uses a particular thing, it doesn't make it the best (or even good). When you have to teach a million people a new way of doing things, there is a lot of friction to improvement.
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Why get a lensatic? An orienteering style (rotating bezel (ring), rectangular base plate) is easier to learn/teach, much less expensive, and more accurate than a GI lensatic.

Just because the military uses a particular thing, it doesn't make it the best (or even good). When you have to teach a million people a new way of doing things, there is a lot of friction to improvement.
    Baseplates work well for taking bearings off a map and lensatics are best at taking bearings from objects in the field. It's best to have and know how to use both types.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post

For more accuracy on the move, or for field " site " work, I do prefer the M2 Artillery compass. Mils r more accurate than degrees.

For old school navigation, the holy cross is actually a transit.

The M2 was not listed as a compass. It is a "Pocket Transit"

BTW, if you want an affordable "M2" that is marked in degrees instead of mils:
    https://www.thecompassstore.com/pam22.html
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Quote Originally Posted by jdh View Post
    The M2 was not listed as a compass. It is a "Pocket Transit"

BTW, if you want an affordable "M2" that is marked in degrees instead of mils:
    https://www.thecompassstore.com/pam22.html
    May just have to get one of these. I have three lensatic compasses, what I was trained on in the Air Force. Never used anything else. But I sure like the description of this M2. And its very affordable also.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
    Baseplates work well for taking bearings off a map and lensatics are best at taking bearings from objects in the field. It's best to have and know how to use both types.
    A sighting type orienteering is better for shooting azimuths than a lensatic. It also is a single tool to get the job done, you don't need a protractor as well.

Plus, they are lighter in weight. I carry three: Two Ranger types, and a smaller version of a ranger. That way, if one goes bad (and they do) I can figure out which one is bad. This is the 'ranger type', but I certainly don't pay that much for them: https://www.amazon.com/Silva-Sightin...gateway&sr=8-7
    Good medicine in bad places