Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Travel Trailer Electrical Upgrade

Still tinkering. Had to replace a damaged siding panel, found an unrelated plumbing problem underneath... fortunate they were in the same place. Taking advantage of the super-dry summer to seal some weatherstrip seal gaps with caulk. But the big upgrade this year will be a new awning which should help keep heat off the south side. Original has never been used the 4 years i have had it because the lower struts are missing and not practical to replace... taking the opportunity to upgrade fom a 15-foot to a full length 21 foot model.

Replaced ac shroud cuz old one cracked and shattered taking jt off to inspect ac unit. New one was $250 ouch. Came nekkid as a jaybird... 2 coats primer, 2 color and 2 clear with uv protect. "Heritage white" as tbe the ivory i tried first was nearly a beige and didn't look right. Still haven't installed the hard-start as i haven't figured out the wiring yet.

Still working on fridge... got the furnace installed except wiring and final test. Then new floor for fridge compartment. Soaked all the rusty fridge chrome in ox acid, looks great... going to give it a coat of clear paint to seal it. Trim looks good.

Been really hot here and i don't care to beout working in it if i can avoid.
    Last edited by bruss01; 08-23-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Still tinkering on it? I figured you'd have moved to dynamite by now! Lol
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Hope you got thing insured.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Skeet they say if dynamite won't solve your problem you clearly aren't using enough! Haven't had to resort to it yet though!

We are planning a fall campout for the mag and some friends... working on getting the old girl looking presentable and working 100%.
    Last edited by bruss01; 08-23-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Busy with a lot of small/cosmetic repairs.... window trim, caulk, marker lights... speaking of lights I came up with an interesting idea to put a trailer socket in the propane tank housing with juice to all the circuits except brakes... would make for nice "decorative" or "party" lights... I know, not very "survival" oriented but understand, if I can make the rig seem friendly and fun, it will be much more accepted rather than someone emotionally sensitive looking at it and seeing death and destruction (implied). We often neglect or forget the emotional or morale component of our preps. Hopefully this offsets some of the "worst case scenario" preps that have been made. I can feel the wife shudder every time she sees the geiger counter and dosimiters or iodine pills, for instance. I try not to let that happen too often for obvious reasons. She's glad we have them, but what they represent on an an emotional level can easily overwhelm her.

Truth be told, it makes me shudder too, only inwardly. I grew up in the cold war, when they taught about nuclear weapons and fallout amd shelters... not the romanticized post - apocalyptic fit for tv stuff, the real deal... the horror. It's real to me and to her. I know, we here are big strong men with iron wills and it is our job to look danger in the eye and sneer... to see or think of such things energises us to action. But not everyone is tasked/blessed/cursed with having/serving such a robust constitution. It is us who ensures that our families survive... but never forget it is many of THEM who ensure a life worth living. Shouldn't we have a care they get to the other side with that precious gift intact?

If making old Waltzing Matilda a little more festive it puts more of a feeling that she represents life, joy and thankfulness... rather than doom and despair... then that means if we ever truly have to rely on her hopefully some of those vibes will linger and give a rosy tinge to whatever sadness or fear we are riding out at the time. They say, " happy wife, happy life" and in so saying, it's implied that having an unhappy wife is no life at all... at least not one most of us would want to live.

Spent probably 2 hours and $100 bucks today sorting some purely cosmetic issues related to tires/wheels. IMHO it was well spent as part of an over-all "sprucing-up" of the exterior. Probably will include another hour tomorrow, and another hour+ installing new marker/clearance lights to replace cracked, faded, weatherworn originals (another $100). Want her to be thought of as a happy and safe place... so that feeling carries over if someday she becomes a "refuge" of sorts.

Work time is limited... was 106 here today. Can't do that too long in the midday sun.

Sure, with everything going on in the world, there will be plenty to say I "wasted my day" doing cosmetic repairs on a 30-year old trailer. I think I am ok with that. It is something I feel compelled to do, part of an unspoken, half-understood primal urge and I beg your indulgence for reading this. We all have them, these drives to do things that don't seem to make a lot of sense in the common mode of thinking. Maybe we are a bit "tetched". Maybe we hear the voice of an angel. Maybe we are just reacting to random neural signals triggered by what we ate for lunch. Can't say which of them this is... but for right now it is what I have to do.
    Last edited by bruss01; 08-27-2017 at 03:48 AM.

In response to that last paragraph, it's the same reason we are all on this site. To most we're wasting time and money on an imaginary scenario, but it gives us peace knowing we've done what we could, just in case.

Just got The Ritz back from the shop. It was a tight squeeze but they did successfully manage to install the 21 foot awning on the 25 foot trailer. Looks nice! The old awning legs had been damaged (previous owner) and had never been deployed the 4 years I've had the beast. Looked horrible too. This is one of the new crank-out awnings from Dometic. They say you can use a handheld drill to operate it but after having done it by hand yesterday my two observations are that it's not a huge chore to do it by hand, and second, that while letting it down might work, I have serious question if the drill is powerful enough to lift that 21 foot roller and fabric... maybe with some kind of gear reduction.

Shading the south side of the trailer during daylight hours will help a lot with the internal temp and maybe with keeping the fridge cool (it is on that side). It'll also provide a "porch" protected from rain during the wet season. Maybe having a palate to throw down, and some kind of rug, will help keep from tracking mud into the old girl. That problem surfaced last year (my first occasion doing some wet weather camping) and it's been on my mind that it's an issue worth addressing.

Also had all new LED clearance/marker lights installed fore & aft. And had the door window mouldings replaced (old ones cracked and no longer water tight, 30 years of sun exposure no doubt). These last 2 were jobs I could have handled but I'm running short on time this season and would rather devote it to other things.

Wish I could post pics but I'm still bummed about the Photobucket debacle. Any other service could do the exact same in a couple of years. Once I figure a better solution I will get back to posting project pics.

Fridge compartment project is still under way. A new floor for that compartment has been cut and painted. Paint in this case was less about appearance (basically no one will ever see it) and more about protection from moisture which apparently did in the previous floor. It's thicker than the old one so now the opening at the top has to be relieved a fraction of an inch to compensate and cut a bit of trim for the bottom... neither big issues. Re-painting the tongue/hitch part of the trailer needs to happen, it has a lot of surface rust. This is an area I am seriously considering the POR-15 that was recommended when I was working on the fridge trim. Might be worth the expense for this application.

The old girl could use some new leveling/corner-stabilizing jacks... but with everything going on so far in terms of time and expense that'll likely be next year.

Oh! and I did a bit of research and it turns out if you bridge two of the terminals in your trailer plug, it will route battery power to the marker lights. It can be done with a paper clip but it is recommended that some kind of circuit protection be employed, such as a fuse or circuit breaker like so:

With the new LED marker lights I can run them for hours for next to zero battery drain. Aside from being attractive it can help you (or your guests) find their way back to the trailer in the dark.

BTW I am noticing a marked shift in the wife's attitude toward my old rambling wreck - with all the sprucing up of the exterior she's treating it less as an eyesore and more as a potential vacation get-away. Now that's what I was going for, right there!
    Last edited by bruss01; 09-27-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Congrats on the awning Bruss. FYI you can post pics straight from any smart phone...
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    In response to that last paragraph, it's the same reason we are all on this site. To most we're wasting time and money on an imaginary scenario, but it gives us peace knowing we've done what we could, just in case.
    100% Correct!! What would one tell his children if an event or disaster hit and you as a parent couldn't feed them nor protect them!! It is my duty as a parent to prep for the worst!!!!!

Awesome progress Bruss! Never thought about linking the battery to the marker lights through the pig tail, very MacGyver ish.