Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 93

Thread: HELP! I shot one of my characters!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    S.E. New Mexico
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    My .02, All actual medical implications aside, it could make the story more engaging. I'd say, if you really need to shoot him, shoot him in the Hospital, just above the emergency room...
    Last edited by TripSeven; 01-26-2015 at 11:05 AM.
    777 FGG

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canadian border state that begins with a "M"
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    that is why I excluded inner thigh shot...
    That's why I thought he might want to include it

    For theauthor, check out "Primary Surgery Trauma Volume 2" (pdf, 204.4 MB) http://www.ghdonline.org/surgery/discussion/primary-surgery-trauma-volume-2-2/. Might be able to use it to add some realism to the story. Looks like a good SHTF medical reference for everyone too, it's like a "Where there is no surgeon" book written by surgeons for Doctors that aren't.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN mainly, on the road alot.
    Posts
    6,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Hemacon is a product that just didn't work as well as the original QC, despite being developed with $100's of millions of Army money and QC being developed by industry. Since then, QC has gotten better.
    Used the wafers on some IAs, nothn really ugly. I like good ole gauze. Pack n wrap.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...
    Posts
    9,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripSeven View Post
    My .02, All actual medical implications aside, it could make the story more engaging. I'd say, if you really need to shoot him, shoot him in the Hospital, just above the emergency room...
    Lmao.......
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

    In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN mainly, on the road alot.
    Posts
    6,074

    Default

    Author, no offense, but the op sounds more mark walberg, in shooter.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in corn country
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Unless the kit was issued to a medic in a combat zone, there are probably no narcotics in it. Even if it was issued to a 68W level medic, the odds of narcotics are pretty low. The analgesics of choice if the patient is awake is the combat pill pack (2 extra strength tylenol and 15mg meloxicam), along with some antibiotics (moxifloxacin/Avelox). If not enough, either a fentanyl lollpop or IM ketamine (which has interesting effects).
    My characters have taken advantage of the DSCC facility located in Columbus, Ohio. Easy enough to go back and re-write/add these items to that scene...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Here are the latest Tactical Combat Casualty Care guidelines https://www.jsomonline.org/TCCC/00%2...%20140602.docx
    Most helpful. Thank you. Already downloaded and read. Can't say it was fully absorbed, but I'm getting there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    The treatment is MARCH - Massive hemorrhage first, Airway, Respiration, Circulation, Head in that order. Massive hemorrhage is treated with combat gauze/CELOX, and/or a tourniquet (high and tight). Bandage with an Israeli type bandage, wrap with an ace bandage, cover the patient with a space blanket to keep them warm (hypothermia and hypovolemia lead to acidosis which leads to death).
    Perfect. Thank you.
    Hannibal ad portas

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in corn country
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Ok. Read these excerpts and tell me if I've done anything horribly wrong...



    As she placed her body between the fallen XXXXXX and the man, she began checking his body for wounds. XXXXXX breathed a sigh of relief when she felt that he was wearing his body armor.

    “Took one in the ass,” he declared as he labored through the pain. “I think the other one went through my bicep and entered above my side panel. I can barely breathe. I think it’s in my chest.”

    She quickly checked the buttock and arm wounds.

    “Two flesh wounds there,” she declared methodically.

    As she probed the chest, XXXXXXX hollered out in pain.

    XXXXXXX gently rolled him away from their pursuer to examine the wound. He groaned loudly at being moved. While he was up on his side, hidden from view, she unholstered his Sig and slid it down his belly.



    Then there's a back and forth exchange between character A and B with the bad guy.... spoiler alert, he gets dispatched.



    XXXXXXX quickly ran over and removed the man’s pistol from his hand as he gurgled through his last remaining breaths. Without thinking, and full of fear, anger, and adrenaline, she hit him twice in the chest and once in the head.

    Satisfied, she greedily grabbed the med kit and ran back to XXXXXXX. XXXXXXX hastily went to her knees, opened the kit, and searched for the compresses and wraps.

    She quickly placed a tourniquet on his arm, applied a compress of gauze, and wrapped it with an ace bandage to keep it in place.

    “This might hurt a little,” she declared as she rolled on to his side once again.

    The torrent of expletives he let fly surprised her, but wasn’t all that unexpected. Moving just as methodically as she had been taught by Carlton and Basilia, she didn’t waste time trying to retract the bullet with the forceps. XXXXXXX tore his shirt open and applied a thick wad of gauze to the 9mm diameter hole.

    “Hold this she declared,” and tucked his right hand under the left bicep to keep the absorbant material in place.

    She didn’t want to have to roll him on his side again and decided to address the million dollar wound at the same time. Not bothering to find the scissors or a knife, she placed her fingers in the entry and exit holes of the pants and tore away the material. XXXXXXX efficiently packed the third wound and prepared the elastic ace bandages.

    “I’m gonna lay you back down and tie these bandages to help hold everything in place,” she explained as she gently turned XXXXXXX.

    He groaned in response as he was placed on his back again, but managed to contain the vulgarity.

    XXXXXXX breathing became more and more labored as she quickly tied the bandages. XXXXXXX didn’t know much about human anatomy, but she knew enough to realize that the round was most likely in his left lung. Any doubts about her assessment were quickly clarified when he turned his head and coughed out a large amount of blood.

    After several minutes of panic induced treatment, she had successfully managed to field dress all three wounds and cover her friend with an emergency Mylar blanket to ward off hypothermia.

    XXXXXXX body didn’t know what to do with all of the emotions. Fear, panic, and relief all coursed through her veins. She’d been shot at, the man she loved was bleeding, she’d just killed a man, and they were stranded in the middle of nowhere. She couldn’t decide if she was going to puke or cry. Thankfully, the rumbling in her gut subsided, but the tears started flowing.

    Through the wetness of her eyes she asked, “Do you have anything in your kit for the pain?”

    “Carlton issued all of us a fentanyl lollipop,” he replied as he winced.

    She quickly went through the contents and found the sucker. When she turned back toward him, she saw XXXXXXX staring at her longingly.

    He half chuckled. “Look at that,” he said as the sun broke through the clouds above.

    “What?” she asked in reply.

    “You brought me sunshine and gunpowder. Best birthday ever.”

    “I’ll give you a birthday present,” she declared as she leaned over and kissed him on the lips.

    When she withdrew, he decreed with a devilish smile, “Got the girl too.”

    Then he promptly passed out.

    “Stick the lollipop in his mouth,” XXXXXXX stated from behind her. “He’s going to wake up as soon as we move him and we’ve got a long ride back to Charlton and Basilia.”

    XXXXXXX started balling with relief.
    Hannibal ad portas

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in corn country
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    For theauthor, check out "Primary Surgery Trauma Volume 2" (pdf, 204.4 MB) http://www.ghdonline.org/surgery/discussion/primary-surgery-trauma-volume-2-2/. Might be able to use it to add some realism to the story. Looks like a good SHTF medical reference for everyone too, it's like a "Where there is no surgeon" book written by surgeons for Doctors that aren't.
    The link worked. Thanks. Thought it didn't so I came back and edited this reply...
    Hannibal ad portas

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,813

    Default

    OK. Much better.

    Chest wounds should get covered with a chest seal, like the Bolin or Halo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcKpOI_3KR0

    Look up pneumothorax (and/or hemothorax) on the web for the problem and cause of the problem, but you have to understand the way the lungs inflate, first. A vented chest seal helps, as sometimes does a needle decompression (check for video on the procedure, it can be dramatic), but is only used to treat a pneumothorax - sometimes chest wounds are open enough that it won't help. And a smallish woman taking a 3 1/4" long needle about the size of a #2 pencil lead and overhanding it into a guys chest is something to see.

    I (personally) would put in a chest tube, if I had a suction source (and normally I do). Coughing out blood is usually not a good sign, btw, and merits rapid surgery. Treating the chest wound would be my first choice, once the less serious wounds were identified.

    The fentanyl lolly gets TAPED to the patients hand. The idea is they get to suck on it as much as they want, if they OD and pass out their hand will fall out of their mouth and stop dosing. Kind of elegant, actually.

    The TQ is only for hemorrhage that either won't respond to direct pressure (experience teaches this) or doesn't respond to direct pressure and QC/whatever. Not typically first choice on an arm through and through unless arterial bleeding is evident.
    Good medicine in bad places

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in corn country
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    OK. Much better.

    Chest wounds should get covered with a chest seal, like the Bolin or Halo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcKpOI_3KR0

    Look up pneumothorax (and/or hemothorax) on the web for the problem and cause of the problem, but you have to understand the way the lungs inflate, first. A vented chest seal helps, as sometimes does a needle decompression (check for video on the procedure, it can be dramatic), but is only used to treat a pneumothorax - sometimes chest wounds are open enough that it won't help. And a smallish woman taking a 3 1/4" long needle about the size of a #2 pencil lead and overhanding it into a guys chest is something to see.

    I (personally) would put in a chest tube, if I had a suction source (and normally I do). Coughing out blood is usually not a good sign, btw, and merits rapid surgery. Treating the chest wound would be my first choice, once the less serious wounds were identified.

    The fentanyl lolly gets TAPED to the patients hand. The idea is they get to suck on it as much as they want, if they OD and pass out their hand will fall out of their mouth and stop dosing. Kind of elegant, actually.

    The TQ is only for hemorrhage that either won't respond to direct pressure (experience teaches this) or doesn't respond to direct pressure and QC/whatever. Not typically first choice on an arm through and through unless arterial bleeding is evident.
    Okey dokey... minor edits commencing. Remove coughing blood and add a chest seal. If my character were hit as described, through the left bicep with a bullet lodging a few inches below the arm pit, would I need a tube? Just curious.

    After that I'm off to type up the surgery... Any suggestions on that front given the wounds?? Remembering that this is more akin to Little House on the Prairie and not Grey's Anatomy...
    Hannibal ad portas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •