Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What about just living in an RV?

My RV is certainly one of my bug out plans. Even if I just use it to get to my BOL it has alot of capacity to carry my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    "If we get fallout in this area that camper is going to be about as much protection as a silk nightie".
    - Ray Milland, Panic in the Year Zero (1962)

A camper, travel trailer or RV is not where I'd want to try to shelter from a nuclear war or Mad-Max situation.

However I can see having a mobile temporary shelter as being a good bridge between stable state A (your everyday life, here and now) and stable state B (your new "normal" wherever and whatever that happens to be), should some kind of SHTF come along that makes the first, untenable, and the second, the only reasonable alternative.
    That would be my thinking as well.
    Hard to plan for every possible alternative, and a decent RV could be explained to unsupportive / non-prepping spouses etc as simply a family vacation vehicle that you keep fairly well stocked in non-vacation times for a quick evacuation if needed

BACK FROM THE DEAD a sleestack thread comith..... sleestack lives in a billboard these days.

Yeah, a real Wayback machine trip!

I'll add one more thought inspired by the 1962 film "Panic In The Year Zero".

The family, once reaching their temporary BOL, decides to move all their gear and their quarters from the trailer to a nearby cave. This is for protection in case of fallout in the area. However, another couple who arrives in the area is given permission to use the trailer. Later, the trailer is found ransacked and the couple, dead. It presented a target for looters. So there is some validity to the idea that simply having something, conspicuously, can make you a target. Not sure there is any real answer for this one except know your situation, know the surroundings, and realize the potential - and if there's any possible way to post an armed watch, DO IT. Earlier, on the road, the same gang had accosted the family towing the trailer - and it nearly became a deadly situation. So don't think a bug-out will be the same as going on a weekend fishing trip... you're going to need a whole new level of awareness and the ability to act on a moment's notice, or no notice at all, to protect your group and your gear.

A "bug out trailer" is a concept not entirely unlike a "tactical wheelbarrow". It's problems and benefits hinge on the situation and how it is executed. Bottom line, human beings since the ages pre-dating the wheel have been using apparatus to enable them to haul more gear, further than they could by simply picking it up and carrying it. It's based on solid principle going back over eons of human history and pre-history. There's a reason why it is still used in nearly every culture on the planet. It works, it has undeniable benefits. Can you get yourself accidentally run over by your cart? Of course you can... and there are thousands of other costly or fatal mistakes one can make. Know your gear, know your situation, and act accordingly.
    Last edited by bruss01; 04-26-2016 at 01:26 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

can you tie down an rv like you do a mobile home..?

silvergramma.. you can tie down a travel trailer.

I used to live in one years ago, and I tied mine down using some used log chain and big turnbuckles.
    I just dug some post holes, set some 4 inch pipe in there, let it set up, then blowed a hole in the pipe, and run a big eye-bolt in the hole, with the eye facing the trailer.
    Then I put the turnbuckle on that eye-bolt. Then I drilled holes in the frame of the trailer, and run another eye-bolt.
    Run the chain through the eye-bolt, and back to the turnbuckle, then tighten it down.

I then ran a chain on each side of the axles, and cinched them down the same way.

You can chain down the bumper (if the travel trailer has one) and the tongue as well.

Don't tighten too much, something could bend. Enough to take the slack out of the chain, add another 2 or 3 turns
    on the turnbuckle.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

alrighty then,,,, inquiring minds needed to know, straight line winds have wrecked many a camp ground

I have had these discussions a few times with people, an RV is portable but as many say a BIG target. so you need a plan for it. if we have a total meltdown and you have to get away then you can bug in or bug out in one so you could park it in a hanger, garage, warehouse etc.. and have a base to recouperate or go into the woods and you have somewhere to keep you alive while you plan your next move.

the pros for an RV are like a boat, you get shelter with cooking, washing and power relatively easy. clad some insulation on the outside and it would be warmer and keep you alive at least.

its not the thing I would buy as a prep but something I would look to womble up post whatever either as a complete unit or something I could strip for leisure batteries, 12v and propane appliances, beds etc.. if I was getting one as a prep and had somewhere to deploy it then I would most likely ship it out to the wilderness and dig it in by cutting a path for it then replanting so once its there its there along with enough gas to keep everything going.

here we do at least being so overcrowded have a dearth of caravans and if not worried about parasitic gangs then canal boats are almost the ideal getaway vehicle. if we had your gun laws then you could up armour it with a few mini guns and be king of the river until someone down stream lets the water out

I grew up by the sea and would most likely try to hunt up a boat to escape in as you would never go hungry but for the most part bugging in and low detection is probably the best solution for the UK. on average we only have two weeks worth of food in the country so it would get pretty hairy very quick.
    Where there is Tea, there is hope - W.Churchill 1939 (probably)

I wouldn't really want to be mobile in a huge, slab sided RV that is visible for miles, and sucks gas like it's going out of style. I'm going to hunker down, and try to protect what I have and rely on skill and knowledge, not travel and be dependant on luck and generosity.

You can pack a lot of preps in an RV. With a motor home you can also pull a trailer full of supplies. If one's plan is to bug out or if it ever becomes necessary to bug out then why not do so in comfort?