Thread: DHS says that ham radio is an important part of its new EmComm plan

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Default DHS says that ham radio is an important part of its new EmComm plan

Is this a good thing? I'm sure many hams, especially those involved in EmComm already, would see it as such but I'm not convinced. Comments such as this leave me asking "WTF"?.

"In addition to calls to Public Safety Answering Points and Public Safety Communications Centers , programs such as the DHS “See Something, Say Something” campaign have
    increased the number of reports and tips from concerned individuals to government agencies, as has the use of social media. In addition, amateur radio operators also serve as key contributors in
    this function as they can be important conduits for relaying information to response agencies and personnel when other forms of communications have failed or have been disrupted."
    Well call me paranoid, but I always thought the “See Something, Say Something” program had the potential for abuse and would be used as the excuse to curtail individual rights (1st, 4th and 5th amendments in particular). For some good examples just google "swatting"... But that DHS would now formally lump ham operators (you're now a "stakeholder" don'cha know) into their reporting structure for gathering/reporting intel (of dubious quality) makes me even more suspicious. As do statements like this:

Emergency communications is a shared mission across all levels of government, the private sector, nongovernmental organizations, and even the public.
    Seriously? When did I accept responsibility for this mission? I see contacting police/fire/ems as a civic responsibility if I witness something that could injure life or property, but DHS codifying it in gov't regulation as my "mission" is a wholly different matter. This updated National Emergency Communication Plan is a result of implementing the Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions executive order, which has some interesting statements of its own in the Policy and FCC responsibilities sections if you care to read it.

So if you're a registered ham already, in addition to being a prepper/survivalist (III'er?), are you happy being a newly recognized stakeholder in DHS' ever ongoing mission to protect the homeland?
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Well, I'm probably the newest ticket on this forum, having just got my license in the mail last weekend. I vaguely remember taking a class and passing a test about a month ago, but don't remember taking an oath. Must have slept through that part of class.

Back in the day, I got certified an EMT-A, and remember one of the teaching points as being "save yourself" first. You are no good to anybody as a casualty. That's part of my theory on HAM. I want better access to know what's coming down the pipes.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

So does this mean the suspect the jihadis are using HAM for communications?
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post

lol...!!!
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

It's no different than before. The dual-intention of HAM licensing is practice for emergency/war, and invention of new ways of using radio. It's all about having a trained population of radio operators to gather or pass information in times of need. It's explained in the tech study guide. You really think they'd just give us all this valuable bandwidth for us to be useless and talk about radio parts all day?

It's also entirely voluntary. Only thing this will change is making it easier for EmComm groups to get federal grants, and maybe force some previously hesitant or combatant politicians to work HAM operators into their region's emergency plans.

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Why not. They use gmrs frs n such overseas. U speak hajj?