Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think of a Camper Truck for End of World SHTF Shelter?

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic Weapon View Post
    It would be a decent BOV or short term thing. It is meant to be part of a truck, and mobile at that.

Long term, the city is going to be either ful of empty structures to stay in, or burnt to the ground. You would want top have/know how to build a more permanent shelter somewhere. Throw you a grub hoe and a fascine knife with some seeds in your kit, and you can set up a garden anywhere it'll take. As a mid step between the bike/foot, and a BOL of some kind, I personally like it.

Certainly a lot better than what you have been throwing up so far. With a truck, you can pack around enough stuff to break into and fort up one of those other places overnight.
    Yeah, I totally agree with your last paragraph. Hadn't thought of it until I stumbled accidentally on a You Tube Video of one. I think at worst it would get me through the initial month or 2 before a large amount of the population are dead and then I'd be able to find more permanent shelter. The main thing I like is being able to store a lot of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by B&C USA View Post
    I was with you 25% UNTIL you said it was unattended.
    Kind of meant it was parked inside a garage or by a house. What I need to figure which I haven't at this point is when everything is gridlocked will there be a route to park it in a secluded area to bug out in.

Quote Originally Posted by Planet9 View Post
    Kind of meant it was parked inside a garage or by a house. What I need to figure which I haven't at this point is when everything is gridlocked will there be a route to park it in a secluded area to bug out in.
    Is there not rural property with-in 100 or so miles of you?

Even in a large Metroplex like DFW you can find rural property with-in 100 miles and out in east Texas you can still find land for around $1000 an acre.

Buy an acre or so of property and put a 40' shipping container on it. Use the shipping container as a cabin and for secure storage. Thrown in a small solar setup with some batteries and for under $6000 you could have a bare bones alternate BOL . And you could improve your BOL as time and money allow

Would it not make sense to consider a remote BOL?? or is that simply not an option?
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-19-2014 at 06:09 PM.

You can live indefinitely in a wickiup. If memory serves, they are native to your part of the country anyhow.

Heck, I would shoot the crap out of a r.v. What you are not thinking of is that the tires are going to leave tracks. Vehicles tend to stand out in nature.

Regardless, I think a month or two is asking a lot. I, personally, would transport from place to place, camo the vehicle, relocate nearby with a go bag to camp for whatever period of time I was going to stay, then cut back to the vehicle for supplies(if I am staying), to GTFO(there are numerous situations for this, or to cut and run with the go bag.

From what I have read, if you are serious, it all comes down to picking up some, what do the hippies call them..."earth skills", or bushcraft, get some survival experience under your belt in your spare time. You are going to need them to survive, sans supplied bunker that has enough suppliesto wait out whatever SHTF occurs. For your favorite pandemics, nothing less than having experience is go to save your ass, and the learning curve is deadly steep. Pick up a Bushcraft 101 book or maybe the Cody Lundeen book, check out some youtube on wilderness outfitters, branch out from there.

Any kind of RV or camper will be a big target post SHTF due to potential supplies in the camper/RV. A MUCH better option would be a full size panel van. Tint the windows so it's really dark, put a raised bed in the back so you have storage under it and can sleep on top, then put some generic magnetic "Bug Man" signs on the side for that little bit of extra urban camo and you are set.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

or a pimp van....a shaggin wagon.....

biodeisel

You got Chevy Van stuck in my head! Thanks drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    Is there not rural property with-in 100 or so miles of you?

Even in a large Metroplex like DFW you can find rural property with-in 100 miles and out in east Texas you can still find land for around $1000 an acre.

Buy an acre or so of property and put a 40' shipping container on it. Use the shipping container as a cabin and for secure storage. Thrown in a small solar setup with some batteries and for under $6000 you could have a bare bones alternate BOL . And you could improve your BOL as time and money allow

Would it not make sense to consider a remote BOL?? or is that simply not an option?
    From Los Angeles? The main problem as I said would be gridlock. If we're talking about people dying from an epidemic, all food stores closed, no resources, no law and order, everyone would be trying to get out and you couldn't get out. Obviously, if you somehow are smart enough to figure things out before the SHTF, yes you can get out and go to where you suggested.

There's no $1,000 an acre property in CA, other then maybe the Mojave desert.