Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new idea for a long term shelter; better than a billboard.

Default My new idea for a long term shelter; better than a billboard.

You guys might remember my idea to live in a billboard as shelter. I admit there were flaws in that idea because you might freeze to death (depending on where you live) and people might see you. But this time I have a better idea for a shelter, and again you probably would have never thought of it...

When SHTF I want to live in a wind turbine tower. I don't mean the ones you might see on a farm or schoolyard, no. I'm talking the massive ones you would see in the vast fields of Texas, California, or Iowa. People probably take them for granted but might not realize how large they really are. The towers themselves are 328 ft. tall. At the top of the tower (which is where you'd want to make shelter) is actually a large room that holds the generators and is also where the blades connect to. The room at the top could hold about 8 people so there's more than enough room for you or your family. The dangerous part is that every tower has a ladder that goes all the way to the top. Workers have to wear harnesses so they don't fall to their death by accident, but if my life depended on it I wouldn't mind climbing one of those ladders every day and night, even though I'm afraid of heights... The only problem with my whole idea here is this; getting inside in the first place. The entrance to a wind turbine tower is a thick steel door with a deadbolt locking mechanism and a reinforcing bar. It's always possible that you could find an unlocked one, but if you can't you'd have to break in. Sounds impossible, right? Not really. If I had to break into a steel door I would use thermite (a chemical compound that can burn up to 4,000 F* and melt steel). I already have a pound of thermite packed in my survival bag, I'll never know when I might need it. If you don't know what thermite is or how to make it I can make another forum on how to make thermite and where to buy the chemicals which are easy to find.

Anyway, that's pretty much everything I wanted to say. I'' be waiting to hear what you guys have to say!

(Oh and here's some pictures)

Inside the tower:

How small a human is compared to the tower:

People at the top:

You are going to have to hand haul all of your food and supplies.

You have to be able to climb it in the first place.
    I can't see Granny, the baby, or your friend with the flu making that climb very well.

Your only rapid response will be falling.

If you can break in, I can tell you have broken in. Sieges work, and siege equipment is really easy to put together.

There is a reason most things not an actual fortress are not listed on "SHTF Fortress" lists amigo. I agree that it is a good idea for a specific set of conditions, primarily availability and as a short term solution.

I might scavenge one, but I would not want to live there, unless the sea people are scared of heights or something. Not mocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic Weapon View Post
    You are going to have to hand haul all of your food and supplies.

You have to be able to climb it in the first place.
    I can't see Granny, the baby, or your friend with the flu making that climb very well.

Your only rapid response will be falling.

If you can break in, I can tell you have broken in. Sieges work, and siege equipment is really easy to put together.

There is a reason most things not an actual fortress are not listed on "SHTF Fortress" lists amigo. I agree that it is a good idea for a specific set of conditions, primarily availability and as a short term solution.

I might scavenge one, but I would not want to live there, unless the sea people are scared of heights or something. Not mocking.
    What will you do with your waste? I do not want to climb down with a full bucket of you know what!

Creative thinking for sure, just how would you operate day to day??
    Hypocrisy: A govt that requires everyone to prove they are insured but not prove they are a citizen

8 people at the top? Seems tight to me. Nice work thinking outside the box. I just don't know how much in the way of supplies you would be able to store up top to be able to outlast a siege. You would have to also figure out a way to re-secure the door and or ladder once you are in and up. Otherwise folks will just follow you.

Joe - NY

I would say stay inside at the base instead. Plus with no maintenance those things can be death traps- they can explode or catch fire.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinLight View Post
    What will you do with your waste? I do not want to climb down with a full bucket of you know what!

Creative thinking for sure, just how would you operate day to day??
    Poop on thy enemy
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

To the OP. I think long term no so good.

A day maybe two will be ok while egress/buggin out
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

Thats fine and dandy until the generators seize, fail, and catch fire trapping you 328 feet in the air with only one egress...and thats falling. Hope you packed a chute.
    Its dangerous to be right, when the government is wrong.

I think you would want to throw the waste at the fan blades. Am I wrong? Then you would have a real "SHTF" situation on your hands! (Literally)
    Stop, I am cracking myself up, no really, stop.. OK
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    I think you would want to throw the waste at the fan blades. Am I wrong? Then you would have a real "SHTF" situation on your hands! (Literally)
    Stop, I am cracking myself up, no really, stop.. OK
    LOL...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...