Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My new idea for a long term shelter; better than a billboard.

Spend a night in one while en route to your bugout location - that's pretty manageable. But for a long-term solution, it's not a great idea in the least. If you plan on staying long-term, your biggest challenge will be hauling your gear all the way up there, and any companions you have will also have to do the same. What if you have a dog with you? What if your dog is huge?

Another ideal use for this is using it as a vantage point for a long-range weapon. But again, in a realistic SHTF scenario, your primary goal won't be target engagement anyway.

I just don't see it working out very well for you. If you want a long-term solution, you really need to be thinking about staying close to the ground, or under it.

It seems like these sort of threads pop up fairly often when someone suggests a "novel" idea and then there appears 3 or 4 pages of comments all saying something similar and generally being not too use full.

How about if everyone that responds with their witty or practical or dismissive posts also includes a personal idea that would solve the problem posed by the original poster?

I have used a new septic tank as a well pressure tank shelter and the septic tank also made a nice if small underground shelter.

My best shelter when traveling and staying low profile has been non running cars. Very rainproof and if they obviously look non running (such as flat or missing tires etc,) not many people see them as usefull.

Leave?

OP ... you seem to have Walking Dead fixation or something .... Walkers can't climb so I'll perch in the air

you'll be better off in a nice comfortable real estate or insurance office with 3-4 escape routes and plenty of perimeter alarms ...

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic Weapon View Post
    Leave?
    He's planning something...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Thinking outside the box. Very good.
    A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Starship Troopers
    Armageddon was yesterday-Today we have a serious problem.

When I was in my twenties, I didn't even know there was a box.
    777 FGG

Quote Originally Posted by TripSeven View Post
    When I was in my twenties, I didn't even know there was a box.
    Guess that saved you a lot of money at the bars. So when DID you start dating?

Quote Originally Posted by captbob View Post
    Guess that saved you a lot of money at the bars. So when DID you start dating?
    ya beat me to that one ....rofflmao.

Quote Originally Posted by mgralley View Post
    Thats fine and dandy until the generators seize, fail, and catch fire trapping you 328 feet in the air with only one egress...and thats falling. Hope you packed a chute.
    Need a base rig, might not get full deployment with sky gear. Will a remote fire under 500ft?