Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My new idea for a long term shelter; better than a billboard.

Well this idea is alot better than the lastone ,i'll give you that.but have you actually ever been inside one of those units? They arent quiet. After say 4hrs let alone a day youll be ready to jump, but atleast unlike the billboard idea , you wont just hurt yourself ,@ 300+ft it'll be a self burial.wthats next on your agenda, a septic tank?.

Quote Originally Posted by wnn View Post
    Well this idea is alot better than the lastone ,i'll give you that.but have you actually ever been inside one of those units? They arent quiet. After say 4hrs let alone a day youll be ready to jump, but atleast unlike the billboard idea , you wont just hurt yourself ,@ 300+ft it'll be a self burial.wthats next on your agenda, a septic tank?.
    I've read that empty, unused septic tanks make good shelters. Don't know if there's any truth to it.
    I still hate commies, even after they changed their name to liberals...

Sounds like a ****ty idea to me..........
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

I see a lot of you are saying the generators will catch fire. But what I'm thinking is maybe after some time they will all shut down, you know if the power grid fails? But would the fans still be running? I mean they do generate power! But doesn't something else have to power the fans? Idk.

Quote Originally Posted by LeechHax View Post
    I see a lot of you are saying the generators will catch fire. But what I'm thinking is maybe after some time they will all shut down, you know if the power grid fails? But would the fans still be running? I mean they do generate power! But doesn't something else have to power the fans? Idk.

The large turbines have electric brakes, and probably manual brakes, but if by "fans" you mean the turbine blades, I'm pretty sure they're powered by..... Wind.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by LeechHax View Post
    Those turbines are computer controlled. It manages the angle of attack on the prop to maintain a certain speed, or disable it (and apply brakes) in high winds to protect the turbine. Know what happens in high winds (common where these are) with an aggressive angle of attack and no computer to modify it nor put on the brakes? Here's a hint:

Wouldn't catch me in one of those in a grid-down scenario. You'd have very little notice that it's time to scramble, and when it folds it falls a long way.

Thinking out of the box is not the same as fantasizing out of the box.
    Enjoy your chimney.
    A pound of thermite in your backpack ???
    a 300+ ft stair climb = ~30 stories. EDIT: make that a ladder climb.
    8 people plus the generator, not much room for your porta-potty.
    It could get "toasty" if the enemy decided to build a fire at the entrance.

Here's an idea for you: Build a large dumb-waiter and wrap the rope around the generator shaft so the wind can raise and lower you, the groceries, relatives, and building materials.

PS - Your billboard idea was safer.
    Last edited by B&C USA; 10-31-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Your whole premise is based on gaining access to the tower. Like you said the doors are very secure. So if you breach the door how do you plan to re-secure it upon entry?

I will go back to my original point when you suggested a billboard sign, you are cornered up their. That is nowhere I would want to be cornered with only one way out (or down). In a tower like that they could just build a fire at the base and smoke you out or start firing shots up hoping to hit someone.

I commend you for thinking outside of the box, but that box must have an escape route, otherwise it's a death trap.

What is the ventilation like up there? Would they suffocate/burn/freeze? Having never seen one of the things, I can only ask questions beyond a few points.

LeechHax- I applaud your radical ideas, keep them coming!