Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my ticket today

Default Got my ticket today

Well I finally took the first step. Heard about a class back on thursday, was in it friday night and the weekend. Only got as far as Technician for now. After passing that test, I tried the next step, General, ......twice, and failed both times. Now I'll get a book, study, work on equipment and learn as I go, and try again the next time the testers come to town.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Congrats. Have no real idea what you are talking about, but progress is always commendable. Thumbs up, jeje!

Congrats!

Got mine years ago. Admittedly, been too lazy to go after my General. Tech's your foot in the door to get involved with clubs or equipment. Everything else kind of takes care of itself.

Technician is the first and lowest level of HAM radio license. As stated, it gets your foot in the door. I can't legally operate on all frequencies until I get to the General level.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Congrats
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

Congrats Chip.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

So now you split your prep budget towards your radio budget. Good luck with that

No really... congrats! You have a license to learn. Get involved with your local ARES chapter. Not only will that get you emcomm practice, it can get you info from the local emergency management center faster than the media will get it.

FWIW, There's an FCC rule the says "In a life or death emergency, anyone can transmit w/o a License"
    It must be Life or Death like someone breaking a leg/Bleeding bad etc. in the middle of no place, being attacked by Hostiles etc..

congrats, that's actually a big step prep wise.

So now you split your prep budget towards your radio budget. Good luck with that
    LOL, but true.

FWIW, There's an FCC rule the says "In a life or death emergency, anyone can transmit w/o a License"
    yes, and you can listen to any frequency without any license - just not transmit except in an emergency.

Get involved with your local ARES chapter. Not only will that get you emcomm practice, it can get you info from the local emergency management center faster than the media will get it.
    1+, probably the best way to get early heads up on bad things happening.

I plan on getting involved with someone. My business is in one town and county where I know more people, and I live in another town and county. I need to find out how this all works so as to be able to help in both places. Can I get the cool Radio Operator license plate yet? Might save me a couple of tickets.