Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Ham Radio handheld

The baofang will he comparable to other HT's doing simplex. Almost all of them will put out the max 5 watts of power.

The biggest thing is terrain and distance. Ditch the factory rubber duck and get a longer aftermarket antenna. That will make a big difference right away, and can be had for cheap.

I often sit with my uv-5r and yaesu ft 60 side by side as a generic test. That cheap little bugger pulls in almost 100% of the traffic that the yeasu hears, albeit at a slightly worse audio output quality. The uv5r can sound a little tinny and shallow, but I imagine the speaker they use is much cheaper too.

All in all a real good bang for the buck.
    Last edited by kentman; 01-01-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    Hey, the Kid returns!! Where ya been?

Joe - NY
    Kentucky obviously- I see why they call you slojo.

Thank you, I just wanted to check before we spent anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckykid View Post
    My family is looking for a good starter ham radio for SHTF kind of situations does anyone know if the baofeng discussed here is good enough for simplex communications? At least enough to get an idea of what is going on around us.
    Sure - simplex is easy
    Good medicine in bad places

I just live in a rural area and would like to cover some distance to get information in an emergency.

I just live in a rural area and would like to cover some distance to get information in an emergency.
    In that case simplex may not be your best bet - no matter what kind of radio you use. V/UHF radios are essentially line of sight - if there is a substantial block in between you and whomever you are trying to talk to, you may not be successful.

Using a repeater gets around this problem since repeaters are typically on high ground with high, high-efficiency antennas so they too are line of sight, to each of you.
    Good medicine in bad places

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

My family is looking for a good starter ham radio for SHTF kind of situations does anyone know if the baofeng discussed here is good enough for simplex communications? At least enough to get an idea of what is going on around us.
    Don't think you can beat the Baofeng on what it does for its price. Accessories for it are cheap, and lots of help/support available since its popular. But since you've mentioned wanting to get information a couple times, would just note that the Baofeng (nor any HT I'm aware of) is very good for scanning bands or channels looking for activity. They scan too slow, like about 3 channels a second where even a cheap scanner can do 100 or more a second. So if part of your plan is to program in 100 channels of local interest and scan for activity on them, you might be disappointed. I'm rural too, and even just on a busy days (holiday weekends, deer season, etc) there's too much radio activity to keep up with using my Baofeng when trying to scan more than about a dozen different channels.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    The radio coms with a nicad battery pack. I haven't used it enough to have an idea of how long it will last, which in any case is very use-dependent. There are higher capacity battery packs, 12vdc battery eliminators, car chargers and battery cases that use AA batteries available.

I just took a look at mine and the batteries are not Nicad they are Li-ion. Is yours an older model? There are certainly better radios out there. I had to return one defective unit but for the price they work pretty good. I have the improved antenna for mine and I'm pretty impressed with the options. The squelch can sometimes be a bit useless but it's quiet here in north country so not too much interference.

I have to also recommend the Baofeng. I've hit repeaters several miles away with mine. I've had it over a year with no issues. I use chirp for programming. I've taken it on trips and hit many repeaters along the way with a mag mount. I also connect it to my home made 1/4 wave and hit repeaters 30 miles away in hilly area. I've talked simplex a few times. 5-8 miles. Its was my first HAM radio and it is a very affordable way too get into communication . My local PD just went encrypted digital ...... that's a bummer .