Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Understanding two-way radios

Default Understanding two-way radios

I have a pair of Motorola MR350R 35-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radios being delivered today. I understand I can use the FRS channels without a license but the GMRS channels (frequencies) require a license. Can someone tell me why I might want to get a license and use the GMRS.

Most people who use GMRS radios, actually the vast majority of them, never get a GMRS license

It's technically illegal to use the GMRS frequencies without the license, but it's not like people are being arrested for using blister pack radios on GMRS without a license

I'd say don't worry about it because those radios are not going to transmit that far and the likelihood that you will cause interface or catch the attention of the FCC is virtually nonexistent.... unless you're going to use/access GMRS repeaters, then you might invest in the GMRS license . But that's just my humble opinion.

++++++++++EDIT+++++++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by Brien View Post
    Can someone tell me why I might want to get a license and use the GMRS.
    I forgot to mention that most blister pack radios will transmit at a higher power on the GMRS only frequencies, so that may be a reason choose GMRS channels over FRS channels.

FRS is limited to 0.5 watts while GMRS does not have the same limitation.

If Iím not mistaken your specific radios will transmit with 2 watts (instead of the 0.5 watts for FRS) if you select a GMRS only channel

On your specific radio channels 1-7 are FRS/GMRS and limited to 0.5 watts and legal to use without a license. Channels 8-14 are FRS only, again they are limited to 0.5 watts and legal without a license. Channels 15-22 are GMRS only and operate with 2 watts. These GMRS only channels are the ones that technically require a GMRS license to use

I donít know how much of a difference using GMRS channels over FRS channels will make in the real world because most blister pack radios have notoriously bad antennas, but it's worth testing out to see if the extra power makes much of a difference.
    Last edited by Tdale; 06-11-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

To legally use the complete set of frequencys programmed into the radio. Without it you cannot use but the FRS frequency s. It would be unusual to get 35 miles range out of these units. I have heard of rare exceptions where it happens. I heard of a story where a couple of climbers climbing mount Hood ran into problems and some kids playing with there frs radios picked them up and got their parents, the kids were like 35 miles away. The climbers were at several thousand feet and conditions were just right.

NR

Patiently waiting on the pending train wreck that is sure to come
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I've been doing a little research and came across the FCC Enforcement Bureau.

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/

It seems like most of the targets are big corporations or people broadcasting on FM that is interrupting another station. I didn't see anything specific to GMRS. I think as an individual occasionally using it while camping or around my neighborhood I'll be fine. I can always plead ignorance, which sometimes works with my wife.

It is just too hard to have a discussion when someone seems tho think that their opinion matters more than anyone elses.

Pass the popcorn.

NR

Default Re: Understanding two-way radios

Quote Originally Posted by Brien View Post
    I've been doing a little research and came across the FCC Enforcement Bureau.

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/

It seems like most of the targets are big corporations or people broadcasting on FM that is interrupting another station. I didn't see anything specific to GMRS. I think as an individual occasionally using it while camping or around my neighborhood I'll be fine. I can always plead ignorance, which sometimes works with my wife.
    Lol, ignorance of the law tends to be a very poor excuse when you're in court.

However, you probably have a much greater chance of being stuck by lighting or winning the lottery than you do of getting in trouble with the law for using blister pack radios on GMRS. without a license

People buy and use the little HT's all over the place, never both to read the little card saying they are required to get a License for the GMRS side of the freqs..... and I think even fewer care. All sorts of rules about their use, like FRS (I think) radios can't have a removable antenna... etc. Hell... get within 5 miles of a Paintball game sometime...Ref's, players, etc all are using GMRS/FRS without a care in the world.

But to get your License is a fee.... and POOF, your FCC legal.

Believe me, 99% of the local ham's using 440 would LOVE the band to be cleaned up, and clear out the unlicensed users, but it just aint likely to happen. :/ Anyways, enjoy your new radio's!

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    Beat me to it....waiting for the inevitable idiocy to emerge.
    Good medicine in bad places

All transmissions are line of site !!!!!!!! Just for you T
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.