Thread: The Snugpak Bunker review "A tent within a tent"

Default The Snugpak Bunker review "A tent within a tent"

The Snugpak Bunker review:
    “A tent within a tent”
    Specifications:
    SHELTER WEIGHT 4.20 LBS (Fly, Inner Tent & Poles)
    TRAIL WEIGHT 6.75 LBS (true to weight)
    PACK WEIGHT 7.74 LBS (Fly, Inner Tent, Poles, Stakes, Repair Kit & Carry Case)
    PACKSIZE 18.5”L x 8”D inches

From the manufacturer:

The Bunker™ by Snugpak® is built and designed for long term hard use. With it's 5000mm PU Coated Fly it can handle large amounts of rain as well as surpasses many other tent manufacturers with a much less superior fabric. The Bunker™ has two doors and two vents as well as all types of extras like internal mesh pockets, No-See-Um-Mesh, all seams are seam taped and much more. The Bunker™ is a Fly First pitch type tent, which allows the users to quickly set up the fly and seek shelter from the elements.

Features:
    Flysheet is a lightweight 210t Polyester RipStop with 5000mm waterproof polyurethane coating F/R
    Inner Tent constructed of 190t Nylon with Polyester Mesh F/R
    Ground sheet constructed of 190t Nylon with 5000mm waterproof polyurethane coating F/R
    50D Polyester No-See-Um-Mesh
    DAC® Featherlite NSL® anodized poles with pressfit connectors
    All DAC® Poles are made from TH72M aluminum
    Interior Mesh Pockets (6 Total - 3 on each side)
    2 Doors / 2 Vents
    All seams are taped sealed
    Alloy Stakes (17 + 2 Spare Stakes)
    Available in Olive Outer/Black Inner only (pictured above)
    Comes with a Repair Kit - repairs can be made on the move

Situation: Initial review: This was my first time using this tent. Slept in it two nights consecutively. Temps were high fifties at night high sixties during the day with light rain showers. Used in conjunction with the Multimat ground mat, Snugpak sleeper Lite and Snuggpak Snuggy Headrest.

The Good: So what do I mean by “A tent within a tent” ? The first two bullets under the companies “Features” category mention this. You can set up the flysheet and have a basic shelter if you don't mind sleeping on the ground. It is held up with three solid snap together poles that weave through the top of the flysheet like most tents today. The flysheet is very well made and very durable. The vents in this portion of the tent are well made and naturally protrude out from the main body allowing for adequate ventilation. Two zippered doors on opposite ends of the tent as well as two vents on adjacent opposite sides of the tent. This stakes down via sinchable loops on each corner for a total of six staking points.

On the inner side of the flysheet are additional tie down (loops) points that the inner tent attaches to and hangs from. The inner tent includes a mesh net dome attached to a solid floor that encloses you in the tent. I find this helpful if your camping out in an area where snakes or poisonous insects might be lurking. Combined this is advertised as a three season tent.

The inner size of the tent is quite roomy. Its advertised as a three man tent, or a two man tent if you have gear. I found it comfortable and roomy with myself, my loaded terminator eberlestock pack and my weapons bag/case. With all this there was still more room for whatever else or whoever else might be with me.

The bad and the ugly: Cost, at nearly $400 this is not your average wally world tent. It took quite a few gear reviews and extensive research before I laid down the $ before having seen and or handled this tent first hand. I found a good deal with one of the distributors from this site, so I pulled the trigger. At the moment it doesn't seem like Snugpak can keep up with demand for this tent. I have a college that is trying to find one on the net, but is finding they are all on backorder. I also find the stakes to be a little light and dont get down int he earth as much as I would like, at least in my AO. I might just replace the stakes. Overall, thats really the only down sides I have found with this tent up to this point

Final impressions: A little costly, but overall built to be worth the cost. I find it worth the $ anyways. I like having a green tent that blends in the woods. Its (like most snugpak gear) lite weight and very well built. I have carried a USMC canvas shelter half for many years in my BOB because of the robust heavy duty material. I am thinking that this tent after maybe a few more trails will replace this long used item. Initial impressions are overwhelming, so I think this will have a permanent place in my pack.
    "a warrior is not proven only in combat, but also in life. He lives by a code,....... Combat is an extension of that code, not the source." Justin Smith

Cool. I'll keep that in mind.

i have looked these before. the cost is what got me. good to hear some first hand feedback. please keep us updated on long term use.
    Vox Populi!

i was looking at this or scorpion. not sure yet.

I have no idea about the scorpion, I bought this as an alternative to my previous solo bug out philosophy plus the four season option. I am sure simular tents made by the same comapany are still pretty awesome.
    "a warrior is not proven only in combat, but also in life. He lives by a code,....... Combat is an extension of that code, not the source." Justin Smith

Thank's