Thread: Mulitmat Trekker ground mat review

Default Mulitmat Trekker ground mat review

The Mulitmat Trekker ground mat:
    Expanded Size: L72” W20” H1”
    Pack Size: 6”X11”
    Temperature Rating: 14-112F
    Weight: 30 oz (or 1.8lbs) I find this to be close enough to actual weight
    From the manufacturer:

The Trekker Mat by MultiMat is quickly becoming the choice of many Military personnel. The Unique design and color combination sets the Trekker apart from the competition and the choice of Military Professionals. Self-Inflating Mats not only provide a little extra comfort sleeping on top of rocks and other hard surfaces but also help to add a barrier between you and the cold ground beneath.

Color: Olive/Black Reversible

Note: The pack size is determined when mat is mid-folded and then rolled.
    Features:
    Super-fast valve giving 3x airflow of a regular valve for fast inflation/deflation
    Mats supplied with microfibre-lined stuff sack/pillow case, retaining band & repair kit
    Tough 150D Polyester top & bottom layer
    TPU membrane for air-tight seal
    Quality, lightweight, 20kg/m3 PU foam core for lasting performance and full inflation

Situation: I have used this ground mat over a span of 4.5 years. I have used it in the desert of southern California when days were in the triple digits, the tropics of the Pacific with temperatures ranging from the 60s to high 90s with high humidity and now on the east coast mid 70s F. Used in conjunction with the Sleeper Lite (Mummy bag), Snugpak Jungle Bag and Snugpak Snuggy Headrest.

The good: So I have spent allot of time out in the great outdoors; sleeping on a Marine Corps issue Iso mat. While effective I found these to be large, cumbersome and a little to heavy for trucking through the woods with an already overweight pack. The trekker alleviates these issues by being compact, light weight, and just as effective. It does compress well when stuffing into a ruck as long as the valve is in the open position. And it waterproof with the valve closed and can be used as a small flotation device, at the same time you don't have to worry about it soaking up water and weighing you down on the trail in adverse weather. Price point was right around $50.

The bad and the ugly: It comes in a draw string bag that is not very durable at all. It has a few holes in it and doesn't really cinch the the bag down none. It is advertised as self inflating, however I find that instead of opening up the bag, letting it self inflate, and lock down the valve at a later time to hold the air in while I lay on it. I however tend to blow the mat up by mouth (which doesn't take very long) and lock down the valve right then and there so I don't forget to lock it down earlier.

Final thoughts: Yet another item from Snugpak that has a permanent place in my BOB. Keeps me off the ground and comfortable when out in the bush. Well worth the $.
    Last edited by paramilusmc; 05-17-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    "a warrior is not proven only in combat, but also in life. He lives by a code,....... Combat is an extension of that code, not the source." Justin Smith

Para excellent review. Have you ever tried Thermo rest mats. I have one that 25+ yo that has served well. Just wondering if I should replace it. Prices email is about what the TRUTH was back then.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I have not. My expierience with ground mats is pretty much limited to the military ISO Mat and the multimat.
    "a warrior is not proven only in combat, but also in life. He lives by a code,....... Combat is an extension of that code, not the source." Justin Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Para excellent review. Have you ever tried Thermo rest mats. I have one that 25+ yo that has served well. Just wondering if I should replace it. Prices email is about what the TRUTH was back then.
    My Thermo rest was first used in 1987, have taken it all through Africa twice, as well as hunting and general bush walking camping etc. Never let me down and still going strong.

Default -

I want to go, pick me pick me he he. so does anyone know where or how i can find out when the nx one is ? they look so good and am very excited to learn
    chloe x

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    +1000

My thermarest has been through tons of adventures and is still holding strong. I can't recommend them enough. They offer a full line of everything from ultralight to big thick super comfy car camping stuff.

Link or post is useless.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Vote cho bαΊ‘n asesoria laboral en almeria

Default -

Bro,

I was just wondering. Since youre using twin OR-6500s as return pumps, couldnt you also have Tee-d off the overflow piping into the skimmer instead of using another OR-3500 as a feed pump?

An English-dubbed Dutch horror film about Sinterklaas being a serial killer.