Thread: Sunflowers as sun screening?

Default Sunflowers as sun screening?

Howdy. I was at the store the other day, and a thought occurred to me. If you planted sunflowers up close the the house, would they act as a sun screen, and help keep the house cool? Particularly on the South side of the house, the Louisiana sun gets brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic Weapon View Post
    Howdy. I was at the store the other day, and a thought occurred to me. If you planted sunflowers up close the the house, would they act as a sun screen, and help keep the house cool? Particularly on the South side of the house, the Louisiana sun gets brutal.
    Yes, they'll work. 2 things though...

1. Consider sunchokes (they're edible)
    2. Planting too close to the house can cause a conducive condition for wood destroying insects, and other bugs to get in the house, and in LA, y'all have formosan termites which are nasty little devils.

It's not gonna make a huge difference, but couldn't hurt. There are some other things you can DIY like cedar awnings over windows so direct sun does not get in as much, vine trellises, etc.
    Last edited by ak474u; 04-09-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

or grape vines, or hardy kiwi, American ground nut or scarlet runner beans - any of them on a trellis.
    you might also be able to grow jicama vines if you are far enough south
    like AK said, not too close to the house so as to give bugs a place to hide

Just another idea on sun screening by sunflowers. Growing up my dad planted a small pasture with sunflowers and then after they had got taller we let a considerable number of domestic turkeys live under them. The sunflowers provided shade and the stalks prevented the turkeys from stampeding to the corners and smothering each other (nothing dumber than a domestic turkey). In the fall we knocked down the seed heads and let the turkeys browse.