Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Time for a new bag

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    814

    Default

    How many of you consider your backpack your BOB? I have two packs, one packed at all times as my BOB and a separate pack for backpacking. I'd get tired of changing out the gear every time I go backpacking.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tx Hillcountry
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    Wifey and I have dedicated backpacks as our go bags. I travel for work a lot and kinda expect to be walking, backpacks seem the most convenient way to carry what we have.
    777 FGG

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NorthCentral WA. (Highlands)
    Posts
    976

    Default

    i've been looking to upgrade my EDC bag as well. Currently use a condor Compact Assault pack which is just about the perfect size but kinda cheaply made. Hate the way the shoulder straps are set up. Looking for something less tacticool and a bit higher quality. thinking about a filson or belstaff 554 type messenger style bag as i typically carry it only slung on one shoulder but slightly worried about how practical it would be if i needed to move at a decent clip. Anyone use messenger bags as EDC?
    2nd Law: In a closed system, the entropy of the system will either remain constant or increase

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    EDC to me = what I take to work. Has to have a laptop sleeve + storage.

    So yes, I love my Tenba messenger bag. Lots of pockets. Not "tacticool" at all. It's been with me since 2007. Just remove the camera padding (slips right out) and you have a great bag. Used on Ebay, $40-60.



    Quote Originally Posted by icentropy View Post
    i've been looking to upgrade my EDC bag as well. Currently use a condor Compact Assault pack which is just about the perfect size but kinda cheaply made. Hate the way the shoulder straps are set up. Looking for something less tacticool and a bit higher quality. thinking about a filson or belstaff 554 type messenger style bag as i typically carry it only slung on one shoulder but slightly worried about how practical it would be if i needed to move at a decent clip. Anyone use messenger bags as EDC?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NorthCentral WA. (Highlands)
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarMike View Post
    EDC to me = what I take to work. Has to have a laptop sleeve + storage.

    So yes, I love my Tenba messenger bag. Lots of pockets. Not "tacticool" at all. It's been with me since 2007. Just remove the camera padding (slips right out) and you have a great bag. Used on Ebay, $40-60.
    Yup, ECD is what i carry to work. only difference is for me going to work involves either a nice short hike or a short ride on my dirtbike. ECD to me also means the bag i throw in the truck anytime i go anywhere, either for the day (driving down into town) or for the weekend (driving to the city). i think a briefcase sized bag would be too small for a weekend bag but maybe. I'm also salivating over a SBL squared backpack with some custom work done to hold my thermo and knife externally but at $600 plus modifications that leather beauty is a luxury i can't currently justify.
    2nd Law: In a closed system, the entropy of the system will either remain constant or increase

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icentropy View Post
    Yup, ECD is what i carry to work. only difference is for me going to work involves either a nice short hike or a short ride on my dirtbike. ECD to me also means the bag i throw in the truck anytime i go anywhere, either for the day (driving down into town) or for the weekend (driving to the city). i think a briefcase sized bag would be too small for a weekend bag but maybe. I'm also salivating over a SBL squared backpack with some custom work done to hold my thermo and knife externally but at $600 plus modifications that leather beauty is a luxury i can't currently justify.
    I'm actually surprised that there aren't more companies doing tactical style EDC bags like maxpedition does. Their bags are great, I've got a jumbo versapack, and a vulture II plus some other smaller belt pack stuff. BUT... There isn't a bag out there that has an iPad sleeve, a holster, and room for some gear that doesn't get into the backpack or messenger bag realm. There are a lot of possibilities out there for better EDC bags that haven't been explored yet. IMHO.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    814

    Default

    I went for a backpacking trip last weekend and decided it was time for a new bag too. My current one is a North Face that is probably 25 years old. So obviously a lot has changed. I did some research and was leaning towards the Gregory Baltoro 65. I went to REI and tired it on and man it felt good. They normally sell for $325 but I've "got a guy" who can get it to me for $190. I'll just have to wait a few weeks to get it.


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    I've owned a Saddle Back Leather "briefcase" bag. There is good and bad to them. Depends on what you like, but I didn't find mine to be anything special.


    Quote Originally Posted by icentropy View Post
    Yup, ECD is what i carry to work. only difference is for me going to work involves either a nice short hike or a short ride on my dirtbike. ECD to me also means the bag i throw in the truck anytime i go anywhere, either for the day (driving down into town) or for the weekend (driving to the city). i think a briefcase sized bag would be too small for a weekend bag but maybe. I'm also salivating over a SBL squared backpack with some custom work done to hold my thermo and knife externally but at $600 plus modifications that leather beauty is a luxury i can't currently justify.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN mainly, on the road alot.
    Posts
    6,074

    Default

    Hav ya ever considered a newer pelican case with rollers n fold out handle.

    HARDIGG makes some as well.

    Almost bulletproof, lol water tight, most float. You find some with back pack straps or afixed to like a alice pack frame. Due to insulating factor would have some emp resistance.

    Where does the gov store thier stuff?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post

    HARDIGG makes some as well.

    Almost bulletproof, lol water tight, most float. You find some with back pack straps or afixed to like a alice pack frame. Due to insulating factor would have some emp resistance.

    Where does the gov store thier stuff?
    I am dying to get my hands on some of those Hardigg Medichest cases I see on the govliquidation site, but I onlyh need about 10 of them and the lots up for auction are pretty large.

    Group purchase anyone?????

    Joe - NY

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •