Thread: Need help with equipment selection!!! Please!

Default Need help with equipment selection!!! Please!

I am looking at running this radio http://www.ebay.com/itm/281134116133...84.m1423.l2649

We communicate in the 400-470 mhz bands mostly but occasionally we have to talk on 154.570. As of right now we're using Baofeng UV-5R handhelds and they work fine but I want to put a mobile setup in my truck and be able to talk on the given frequency range. What antenna setup should I use? Any other equipment recommendations besides different radio? I'm new to mobile setups. The furthest we ever talk is about 7 miles or so in dense wooded areas.

Would it be better to run a 1/4 wave antenna for the 2 meter and two 5/8 wave antennas for the 70cm? If so what would be needed and how would I switch between antennas with the dual band unit? I would also like to possibly setup the antennas on the headache rack of the truck nut off to the sides as the center is out of the option.

If you're getting 7 miles in thickly wooded terrain with the UV-5R you must have some special circumstances in your AO, maybe your in a giant bowl or some other unique feature that's allowing you to communicate over those distances with a 4 Watt HT, because 7 miles in thickly wooded terrain is certainly not the norm, especially for UHF (400 to 470 mhz on the UV-5R) because UHF has a much harder time penetrating foliage then VHF, even 2 meter (VHF) will not normally go 7 miles through woods with a 5 Watt HT without the aid of a repeater.

154.570 being a MURS frequency is limited to 2 watts, so technically that radio would be illegal, but it's not like the radio police will be kicking in your door if you use it.

As far as your antenna, I'm not entirely sure. Most dual band antennas are tuned to 2 meter/70CM. I don't know how well they will work that far out of band.

Have you considered getting your amateur radio license?

That would open up a whole new world including access to thousands of repeaters setup across the country, it would also make antenna selection much easier with all the 2 meter/70CM antennas that are available.
    Last edited by Tdale; 01-18-2014 at 05:07 AM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

THAT radio will not fulfill your needs.
    I don't want to sound like a band monger - but if you do not have a license, you can't use a high power radio on any bands except 11 meters - CB radio - which is an excellent choice for most preppers from a standpoint of being able to communicate with the masses.

The Beofungs and Woxshuns are designed to be used on Amateur Radio bands only.
    They are not legal for use on the GMRS - without a license and being Narrow BANDED AND CERTIFIED BY A TWO WAY RADIO SHOP. Most Amateur Radio equipment does not fall into this category due to the fact that it is front face programmable and not suitable for use according to the Part 90 rules.

The radio you were looking at is not compliant with the rules in the USA - which makes me suspect why they are calling it a Taxi Cab Radio and not something else.

That is one deal you need to walk away from.

If you know what frequency you wish to operate on, there is a lot of surplus equipment out there available to you at a reasonable cost that can be had - with a better warranty for about the same money.

This is the second time I saw this radio in a prepper forum / fleabay this week....

For an inexpensive mobile dual band transciever, I like the Anytone AT5888UV for $289-ish, As a bonus it also does AM air band receive. Unless you have someplace local that sells them, I'd suggest someplace like Amazon that has a painless return policy. (http://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-Transc.../dp/B00B1F7IEE) I've not had any problems with mine, but I have heard of issues which leads me to believe they have QA issues (maybe just in early versions, but better safe...)

I use a dual band magmount antenna on the roof of my truck. Off to the side is fine, it'll just make your radiation pattern a little bit lopsided (just a little). Running 2 antennas can do "interesting" things to your radiation pattern unless you take care to ensure they are radiating in-phase. If you only need 7mi, a single dual-band antenna should do you fine. I get full quieting to a local 440 repeater that is 8miles away from my location (though it's on a 45' tower).

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    For an inexpensive mobile dual band transciever, I like the Anytone AT5888UV for $289-ish, As a bonus it also does AM air band receive. Unless you have someplace local that sells them, I'd suggest someplace like Amazon that has a painless return policy. (http://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-Transc.../dp/B00B1F7IEE) I've not had any problems with mine, but I have heard of issues which leads me to believe they have QA issues (maybe just in early versions, but better safe...)
    I have been thinking about getting the Anytone, but wont make an order until after I get back from Hamcation. I might get a Yeasu or Kenwood if I can find the right deal on one. Amazon is a pretty safe place to purchase from in any event.

NR