Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Blackout", New TV Movie

Default "Blackout", New TV Movie

New program/TV movie on The Discovery Channel, looks promising.

Joe - NY

When?

On Discovery Channel? I know Nat Geo has one on October 27th. "American Blackout"

(National Geographic Channel)

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ican-blackout/
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-13-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I looked and could not find anything on there website

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    On Discovery Channel? I know Nat Geo has one on October 27th. "American Blackout"

(National Geographic Channel)

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ican-blackout/
    Sorry, yeah that's the one.

Joe - NY

I saw the commercial for this. Definitely will be watching.
    Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.

I have Direct TV and it only previews to 25 Oct. I tried the smart search and it gives me a no match message.
    Please remind us later next week so we can DVR the show.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

I'm waiting for it to show on my guide so I can schedule it to record. It seems like it's based on a cyber attack that takes us down, and the utter chaos that ensues. The possibilities are endless for this subject making a fiction/mockumentary, so it might be good.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    I'm waiting for it to show on my guide so I can schedule it to record. It seems like it's based on a cyber attack that takes us down, and the utter chaos that ensues. The possibilities are endless for this subject making a fiction/mockumentary, so it might be good.
    I hope they do it justice, instead of making the people who are prepared look like idiots. It definitely has potential.

My take on it: According to the preview blurbs, they plan to show us the whole event through the eyes and lenses of 4 different groups. This will allow them to show where one group's stragegy succeeds where another's fails. No doubt each will have their own way of "coping" with the prolonged outage. For some that may mean truly coping, such as we here would do... for others that may mean "hoping for the best" while being terrified, confused and deprived.

This show wasn't formed in a vacuum. If you follow the political and and national stage, you have seen people like Newt Gingrich and Janet Napolitano discussing the possibility of a prolonged blackout. You've seen congressional committees formed to study the possibility. You have seen the concept popularized in cultural entertainment, from video games, to tv series such as "Revolution", "Jericho" and "The Walking Dead". You've seen wide-scale natural disasters such as Katrina, Rita and Sandy which have brought millions of people face to face with the actual experience of being stuck for days or weeks without power. Books like "One Second After" and "Lights Out" have brought the concept to readers, and even the series "Doomsday Preppers", while it may cause some to point and laugh, it also no doubt starts the wheels turning for some folks, on a deeper level.

With the GridX II national power outage drill scheduled in mid-November, I'm fathoming a trend here, and that trend points towards an emerging national conciousness that our grid is vulnerable... it is, perhaps, the greatest vulnerability we have. Just this morning I read news of a man who apparently made it his mission in life to sabotage his local electrical grid system - he chopped down poles, snagged a cable to a freight train connected to a transmission line tower, and started a fire in a substation. Why? Who knows? His motivations are his own well-kept secret at this point. It does not take much imagination at all to envision the kind of damage to a local electrical system that could be done by a couple of men with a pickup truck and a 30-06 hunting rifle who drive around a town plunking holes in transformers - it's well-known that because these are infrequently replaced, utilities do not keep them on hand in any large numbers. More serious and wide-ranging drama could ensue due to a mistake by a tech operator, simple failure due to over-extended systems, or from malicious activity by a trans-national hacker with an agenda, an EMP strike, or a Carrignton Event (CME).

I don't think it's entirely implausible that there may be a serious grid outage out there waiting for us in the not so distant future, and the inklings of this (whether speculative, colaborative, or precognitive) have filtered down to the masses and these emerging trends are simply a shift in the stream of national awareness.
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-14-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.