Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: farm opening for visits.

Default nothing here

well, with a couple of swaths mowed on the place and much much more clearing and setting up to come very soon I am opening the farm to forum members to come visit if they desire, weekday or weekend beginning Friday afternoon October 11.
    I would open it tomorrow but the road in is rough and needs some smoothing and dirt hauled in and my front end loader isn't running this moment. hope to change that by midweek.

I hope to get well water going in the next couple days. saw the well head through the brush as I was mowing today and the pump is still there so I can tomorrow hook genny to it for water.

aint nothing spectacular this moment, just an overgrown piece of property but its gonna get much much better very soon.

roughly 70 miles north of downtown Houston in the Livingston area.

pm me for phone number.
    Last edited by ogun; 06-07-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Ogun, I'm tentatively planning a road trip for next summer and battleship USS Texas is on the itinerary. If you're still open then, I'd be pleased as punch to visit.
    Regards
    "Never send a Glock to do a 1911's job."

this is pretty much my home from now on. I may short trip to Austin or san Antonio to work if I ever work again. but there will be a presence on the farm 24/7. san jacinto and battkleship texas is about a two hour drive from here.

O, how bout I bring the volvo mini ex up for a day or so. It does real good on fuel, 5ft push blade. I go up 59 almost every month on my way to memphis to see my boys, n maintain talon.

a little digger the Volvo you mention?

like I said, im gonna be here every day on the farm or over here three mile away in the rv park or in a jon boat on the river fishing. this is home now and I welcome visitors.

I should have at least a pistol range and one hundred yard range set up within a couple weeks.

right now emphasis on just mowing and clearing brush and getting chicken coop and pen and rabbit hutch of some kind installed and stocked.

ive got people out right now buying cookware and air compressor and air tools and I need to go very soon today and get 3 point post hole auger and a bottom plow and a middle buster bar. the middle buster will do for shallow trenching I guess. I wish I had a backhoe but ive not bought one yet.

looked while ago at a Cadillac of a dump bed trailer. 6 grand. can get old dump trucks for 2500 around here so I guess that's the route ill go.

ok, Saturday happening!

Last cross Country trip we took, we spent the night in Fredricksburg on our way to Austin so I could get a pic of me standing next to the SRV statue. I play guitar and he's my hero. If I ever have to work( I'm a master commercial Glazier, I travel the Country and put frames and glass into high rises) in the Houston area, I'll look you up...
    Last edited by GeneC; 10-06-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Ironplanet.com if ur not in a rush, dont mind auctions, n have a debit/credit card available.

We currently have a 07 Volvo EC30 mini excavator, rubber track ( rubber bands suck, but gotta finish em off before going to hybrids ) 5ft push blade, 18in trenching bucket its a good machine for getting into small places, n wieghs in around 7000lb. We got this as second owner from volvo dealer, I have heard great thiings about volvo in the digging world.

gene i don't know if you travel with an rv or not, but I plan on having a few full hookup spaces for friends. im not committing to calling it an rv park yet but someday maybe it will be official. only thing is any rv on the farm has to be ready to move within two hours of me issuing an evac order as the field IS in a flood plain but not a flash flood plain. we will see it coming long before it hits.

new tires for old trailer.

the poor old ford that's about to get a tuneup and ogun on the old massey that's working hard on the farm.

first ground breaking. no real crops to plant, just had to do it.

part of the new farm gang.

$500 blazer that looks like the engine was just rebuilt. new altenator, new waterpump, new radiator, new fan, heck everything under the hood looks new with the heads obviously having been taken off. not the greatest tires on it, but golly 500 bucks and it made it 2000 miles to here with absolutely no problems. gonna be a good little farm truck(a buddy drove it in here from California)

the one ton turbo cummins dodge that has served me well pulling travel trailer from here to tupelo, then to new York, then all the way back across to phoenix, then up to san Francisco, then to eastern Washington, Idaho and then down through Utah and Arizona and new mexico and across texas to here. 224,000 and going strong.

the paid-too-much-but-I-wanted-it-and-how-was-I-to-know-it-was-going-to-immediately-go-to-blowing-oil-like-crazy massey 231. its pulls strong, works well with six foot brushhog, but like I say, its blowing half a quart of oil out the pipe for an hours field work which is not good, but ive seen these things do that for ten years without any power loss. its just irksome to know an east texas redneck got me that hard. it was all purtiful and not a sign of oil at the exhaust when I bought it.

and now, the new horse in the pen. coming in the gate is...

1995 kobelco tlk-760t perkins turbo diesel. 3400 hours.
    paid around 6-8 thousand under current market value because it has a bad master cylinder.
    this rig will do the digging I need to do. I was looking at all these little backhoes and a friend mentioned to me that when one buys a little backhoe he just winds up pissed off because its never big enough to really do a good job so get something real so I did.

random farm shot. except for the few previously cleared areas, this is typical of what I am facing on clearing the farm.
    that's it for now. we spent a goodly amount of time today replacing zerks and getting the backhoe properly lubed.
    Last edited by ogun; 10-20-2013 at 12:14 AM.

That looks like my kind of woodland right there.

Also, I feel like celebrating a little. Got my first (tiny) crop of wheat and oats sown! And my back is paying for it! Awesome experience.