Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: farm opening for visits.

Man, it's good to hear from you. It's been a while. Keep on keeping on.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

ogun,
    so great to hear from you !

family is going to be a great addition for you.
    people you know strengths and weaknesses and some to share the work load.

way to go

Another day in the mud fest. Installed a new culvert after the power company trenched right through the old one. Only route was right up the middle of the road. I didn't think that little 4 inch wide trench would cause much damage but the dirt pulled out from deep down seems to have destroyed the road. So we installed a new culvert 24 foot long 12 inch diameter. Built bulkhead with 8 inch diameter post driven 5 six feet down, laid in logs. Decided not to Deadman it because of time constraints. Filled everything in, road was actually humped there at the culvert instead of dipping.

It rained and it rained and it rained.

Culvert floated right in the middle. Floated up so far and and so fast that it broke the culvert in four places. The upstream side was under a foot and a half of water the downstream side only had a little trickle coming out. The whole area remained sodden.

I had noticed the bulkhead was slowly but surely collapsing and I had planned on trying to ease those posts a little straighter and dead Manning them but with evidence that the culvert had floated removing the bulkhead became part of the job.

It caught me out because I had never used plastic culvert, only steel ones. I suppose I should have put half a dozen bags of concrete on top of the culvert or driven stakes beside culvert and lashed it down.

So I learned something there.
    Last edited by ogun; 12-26-2015 at 09:04 PM.

When shopping for culvert the last time around, about 2 years ago, we were steered to oilfield casing due to cost. 13 5/8" is what we bought, and while not as large as 2' dis tinhorn, it's heavier and sturdier. At some point it will probably rust out, but it handles oilfield trucks and traffic pretty well.Also it won't float as easy. Something you might consider.

Hope you had a merry christmas. Stay well.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Alive.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Alive.
    So glad to hear from you !

Quote Originally Posted by ogun View Post
    Alive.
    Yay! We need a progress report.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Everything ok?

Joe - NY

He's been hibernating, this Deep East Texas heat and humidity is intense.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."