Thread: Walipini design help!

Default Walipini design help!

So I'm playing around with designing my own walipini, but I'm trying to figure out what the correct angles are for my location (49 degrees north). Since I am so far north, the angles in the design for a normal walipini just won't cut it, so I have taken the design and modified it. The main purpose is to have the angle of the clear plastic be perpendicular to the sun's rays at the winter solstice (which at my location will be 17 degrees, I think). That is a very steep angle. The angle of the summer solstice will be 60.5 and I hope that my design will let the hot rays bounce off. Anyone want to check my work?

49 degrees north walipini design

This is what I based my angled design on:

https://www.forum.haszysz.com/imgcache/2011/03/87.jpg

I'm working off of this pdf file:

http://www.bensoninstitute.org/Publi...s/Walipini.pdf

And I'm planning on making it almost above ground with dirt filled large tractor tires for the earth insulation, since the soil is mostly river rock and I don't want to dig down.
    Last edited by Renee; 08-14-2013 at 06:06 PM.

By not digging it into a hillside, I would think that that you would be losing out on the geothermal properties that make this design work.
    Preparing so that I may live better today and post shtf.

Thus the earth filled tired to essentially bring the earth up since I can't go down. It isn't and unheard of technique, I've seen lots of photos of it done by bringing the earth up to the walipini. I will try to dig down, but I won't get far. It will insulate, just not as well as fully dug in. I'll just have to settle with a shorter than year round growing season, but it will be longer than normal.