Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No-till, permanent bed farming

Sweet looking garden Explo. Much further along than when I saw it. You've made excellent progress.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by B&C USA View Post
    If you have paths, 36 inch beds would make more sense

You ain't old, you are well seasoned
    You got it, pard! A WELL seasoned citizen, I am. I'm not doing raised beds, just planting right in the soil...like granddad used to do. Has worked well so far. "sides, I can't see spending the money for materials just to raise the dirt up higher. For the amount I grow raised beds would cost me a chunk of money I can better spend on other things, and I'm talking about things pertaining to sustainability, not Xboxes, etc. I know a lot of folks like those things but far as I'm personally concerned...throw'em on the fire. Anyway...back on subject...we'll see how my garden does. I just can't see the sense of digging where I'm not going to plant.

Would you share how you built your mulch collector? Its exactly what I need.

Praise Dixie!

Lookn good explo!

Dingos can make work a bit easier, but I really like our volvo ec30. Its not to big n can get most things around the yard moved. I could probs rig a mount to run a tiller attach off my hyds, but thats project isnt in the works, have a old ares rocket tiller if need be.

Heavy equip makes chores more like fun!

Don't forget you can make raised beds out of Cinderblocks as well instead of wood. Like this:

Not mine unfortunately but I like it. You can often get cinderblocks second hand much cheaper than say Home Depot / Lowes. I've also heard you can get them cheap from masonry companies in bulk sometimes.

those are nice and high also which is great for not having to bend over.
    will last pretty much forever

downside is that it takes a lot more soil to fill them.

not sure it is necessary to mortar them in place, sure makes it hard to repurpose later. I think dry stacking them would have been fine.

Yeah you can dry stack them just fine, I've not seen a case where they've fallen down or moved much if any when looking through forums and projects.

It does take a lot of soil yeah, but you can make them any height really. They could just be one block high instead of three or more. Soil to fill is the same for any 'raised bed' kind of project, scale is up to the person doing it.

I myself would go for 1-2 blocks high.

I realy like the idea of the raised beds. I like the cinder blocks because after a bunch of adding mulch and stuff youd start to add volume and you could just add another layer to the bricks and make it taller I think 3 is as high as I would go without any mortar but for a garden you don't need to go much higher than that.

Main soil thing that I have a problem with is; Most of us have soil, it's condition varies but the main issue above all is undesired seeds that are in it.

I have no qualm with digging and moving soil across a piece of land to fill a raised bed, but getting rid of the weed seeds in it I'm not sure how easy is to do. I wish I could see a large scale bulk soil sterilization done that a average joe could do relatively easy.

Buying soil can be expensive too which is why I'd prefer using my own although I guess if you can find the right company you can just have someone bring a large dump truck load of it in for a lot cheaper than a place like Lowes.