Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One-acre spread, how many people?

Quote Originally Posted by TylerTX View Post
    In South Texas during drought, I can't grow enough grass to feed two donkeys and a goat and I have 5 acres. Everything depends on climate, soil and terrain. Aquaponics are great if you have enough water, and I do, and I'm studying up on it. Every situation will be different.
    do you have a well?

Look up the info on urban farmers in California. They are on less than an acre of land and produce more than enough food to sustain the two families with enough to sell. They have chickens, goats and fish for livestock. Lots of great ideas for micro farming.
    A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Starship Troopers
    Armageddon was yesterday-Today we have a serious problem.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai64 View Post
    Look up the info on urban farmers in California. They are on less than an acre of land and produce more than enough food to sustain the two families with enough to sell. They have chickens, goats and fish for livestock. Lots of great ideas for micro farming.
    This sounds like a good idea, but in all it always comes down to your area and season changes.

In California you can grow things year round, in Alaska things are different. You need to figure out what your conditions are where you have your land!

David Blume on his experiences with Permaculture
    http://www.permaculture.com/node/141
    "As far as I know I was one of the only farmers fully utilizing permaculture to produce surplus food for sale in the US as a full time occupation. On approximately two acres— half of which was on a terraced 35 degree slope—I produced enough food to feed more than 300 people (with a peak of 450 people at one point), 49 weeks a year in my fully organic CSA on the edge of Silicon Valley . If I could do it there you can do it anywhere."
    "What's yours is yours, do not trespass upon the person, liberty or property of another."

I recognize the picture. Its from The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency, by. John Seymour. The original 1970s version has been invaluable source of information to me over the years. The newer, early-2000s, somewhat PC-a-fied, version, to a lesser extent.

As to the question, I think that a single acre is pretty optimistic. The five-acre spread later in the chapter is a more realistic.
    "I never should have made it, but I'm still alive" — "Dead End Streets", RevCo

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmirage View Post
    David Blume on his experiences with Permaculture
    http://www.permaculture.com/node/141
    "As far as I know I was one of the only farmers fully utilizing permaculture to produce surplus food for sale in the US as a full time occupation. On approximately two acres— half of which was on a terraced 35 degree slope—I produced enough food to feed more than 300 people (with a peak of 450 people at one point), 49 weeks a year in my fully organic CSA on the edge of Silicon Valley . If I could do it there you can do it anywhere."
    This is the type of people We need.