Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a wonderful Science Fiction author - John Scalzi!!

Default Found a wonderful Science Fiction author - John Scalzi!!

Actually, this has NOTHING to do with STHF, but I am so pleased to find this SF author that I had to share with you guys.

There is probably other preppers like me that love GOOD SF. 99.997% of the Science Fiction written in the last 30+ years is total trash.

Not to detract from the Master, Robert Heinlein, but John Scalzi is up there at least in the same league. His books are a pleasure to read, its been ages since I found a book that I could put down, or when I am reading, you enter that time fails to mean anything and you get lost in th book.

Out of desparation to find something new (you can only ready Starship Troopers or The Moon is a Harsh Mistriss so many times). I picked up Scalzi "An Old Man's War" and it was awesome from the first chapter. A review said Scalzi was reminiscent of the Master - Robert Heinlein.

The book takes a very interesting and plausable track on cloning and bio-engineering. Its about 200 years in the future and humanity is at war with mostly every other senient race in the galaxy, fighting over the best real estate. Its not this touchy-feely kum-by-yah group-hug Star Trek universe.

I have NO connection with the author or publisher...just a big fan.

Has anyone else found a good SF that is similar to the early years of SF?
    Never confuse kindness with weakness.

Twenty-fourish years ago, Robert Jordan started an epic series titled "Wheel of Time". He completed up to book 12 before he died. At the request of Jordans widow, Brandon Sanderson has taken over completing the set. It's a sword's and sorcery epic, that sits on the bookshelf like a set of encyclopedias. Fifteen books in all.
    Jordan left copious notes and outlines for where he wanted the story to go.

Initially Jordans character developement was interesting and added to the story, but as more characters were added it became a bit tedious. Sanderson has breathed new life into the story, and I couldn't put the book down, and I am eagerly awaitng the last tome which should be out in early January.
    Last edited by TripSeven; 02-26-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
    777 FGG

His "old man's war" series is great.
    Haven't read "zoe's tale" yet.
    His "little fuzzy" sucked, I've read Piper's version too many times.
    I might give his "red shirts" (star trek) a try too.

You really need to give John Ringo a try.
    Last edited by bltjr1951; 10-09-2012 at 12:05 PM.

I strongly agree with you about modern sci fi AFNAV82,i look for and buy vintage sci fi and am currently reading Men MARTIANS and Machines by ERIC FRANK RUSSELL.Ebay and amazon are good places to look for vintage sci fi.Thank you for the heads up on author John Scalzi.
    everywhere you go there you are

Just read Lois McMaster Bujolds Vorkosigan series....pretty good.

Stay away from Ringo for medical advice.....

And Tom Kratman is good - just started the M-day stuff.
    Good medicine in bad places

I like E.E. Knight's Novels of Vampire Earth. Good spin on aliens, shtf, vampires, and nothing like what you are reading when you read any of those three words. Focused upon one man in a postSHTF guerrilla free army, personal experiences and suchlike. Got me to thinking.

****in "A" Brothah!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 30oang93 View Post
    Đang tim thông tin n*y , Cám ơn Bạn
    ----------------------------------

Mua b*n ghế cũMua thanh lý b*n ghế cũ S*a chữa b*n ghế
    Reports that the infection was spread by rage-infected monkeys have now been dismissed as bull****

Williamtof Guest

Default Проверенны

http://propohudenie com

Организация “Проверенные товары и услуги” предлагает достоверную и проверенную информацию о качественных товарах и услугах для пользователей. Нашей задачей является ревизия качества сервиса или товара, которые рекламируются в сети. После нашей проверки на качество товары и услуги размещаются в каталоге инспектированных товаров и сервисов. Наш каталог сможет помочь пользователям подобрать необходимый товар или сервис, не сомневаясь в их качестве.

видеостоки для начинающих

Основными направлениями деятельности нашей компании являются товары и услуги, которые связаны с похудением и заработком в Интернете. Данные товары и услуги зачастую подвергаются фальсификации, по причине их большой востребованности.

«100 000 с нуля за 21 день» скачать торрент

Мы ведём соответствующий контроль и проверку на качество данных услуг и товаров, после чего доводим до сведения пользователей информацию о проведённой проверке. Мы ещё сможем принять жалобы от потребителей на какую-либо услугу либо товар, предлагаемые в Интернете, на недобросовестное отношение фирм-реализаторов. Наш каталог имеет также информацию о других услугах и товарах – не относящихся к категориям заработка в Интернете и похудению, мы осуществляем проверку на качество разных услуг и товаров.

What the **** was THAT??? ^^^^^

Russian....
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!