Thread: Honey Harvest

Default Honey Harvest

Harvested this summer's honey crop over the weekend. I averaged 65 lbs per hive. One hive alone produced 225 lbs! If only they could have all been like that! Overall I was pretty happy with the result given this summer's drought. Any other beekeepers out there care to share what kind of a year you had?

Something else I'd like to learn to do.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

My father got a friend of his to start 2 hives early last spring. When we moved them to his place the hives were strong so we split them into 4. In june we again split the hives and pulled off about 6 gallons of honey. This was probably a bit early to be splitting the hives since we lost 2. He gave me one hive and I plan on splitiing it next spring. What honey they have from last run on his and the one I now have we are gonna let them keep to eat over the winter. We both want to increase the number of hives we have both for hobby, a bit of extra income and, future trade if SHTF. Part of winter projects is the be building more hives.
    An old West Virginia Hillbilly saying:
    You can't get the water to clear up, until you get the pigs out of the creek.

Would love to know how to work bee hives.
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I am the powdered donut KING!!!

Congrats. I am hoping we get HOA language changed so I can get hives again. Miss my girls.
    A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Starship Troopers
    Armageddon was yesterday-Today we have a serious problem.

I got about 8 gallons off one hive this year. I'm not really after the honey as much as just keeping bees and learning how to manage hives. I hope to do some splits in the spring and go from 3 hives to about 8. Have started making my own nuc boxes and hoping to have enought come spring. I like the early spring honey (clover) more than the later summer honey (stronger and darker).
    I got Vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Plant lavender makes the best tasting honey.
    A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Starship Troopers
    Armageddon was yesterday-Today we have a serious problem.

This is something i would like to learn to do. My 90 year old neighbor was keeping bees up until about 5 years ago when sillicosis caught up with him. I wish i had talked with him more on the subject. Im going to check around and see if i cant find someone closeby that is willing to share their knoweledge and teach me. Having gallons of honey sounds like a good plan for extra income and possible barter as mentioned above. Thanks for the inspiration.

Most counties and states have their own Beekeepers associations. Check online for them, I joined my local beekeepers club and couldn't have done this without them. We have speakers every month and field trips, plus you get to sit around with old guys who have kept bees longer than I have been alive.
    I got Vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.