Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need a chainsaw!

Default Help! I need a chainsaw!

I am needing recommendations for a chainsaw. We have been on our new land almost a month now, we need to take down some large dead trees that are going to cause damage to buildings and fences if they fall on their own. In total we have close to 30 dead or dieing trees, most are large 3 to 5 foot in diameter. I would like some advice on a saw that will provide years and years of service and take down the largest of the dead trees we have.

Thanks, I hope you all have some good advise for me.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

If you're unsure of the chain saw to use, I'd solicit the advise of a professional before I started dropping trees that size....
    Last edited by HatetosayItoldyouso...; 08-27-2012 at 02:06 AM.
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Stihl or Husqvarna, which ever is serviced in your area. Don't bother with anything else. Don't forget the personal protective equipment - all of it.
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
    I am needing recommendations for a chainsaw. We have been on our new land almost a month now, we need to take down some large dead trees that are going to cause damage to buildings and fences if they fall on their own. In total we have close to 30 dead or dieing trees, most are large 3 to 5 foot in diameter. I would like some advice on a saw that will provide years and years of service and take down the largest of the dead trees we have.

Thanks, I hope you all have some good advise for me.
    Get a Stihl. you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    If you're unsure of the chain saw to use, I'd solicit the advise of a professional before I started dropping trees that size....
    I am well aware of the dangers involved. I have cut down trees this size before just not as many as I need to cut now. My neighbor and I have already cut five in our shared right of way, using his saw. I need my own saw since I need to cut the trees on my land! So if you have a recommendation of a brand and model let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Stihl or Husqvarna, which ever is serviced in your area. Don't bother with anything else. Don't forget the personal protective equipment - all of it.
    I have both dealers local. Any models to avoid?

I bought an echo and love it. Mod'd the muffler, tuned the carb and its flat out ripper now!

Personally, I have Stihl, because there are Stihl dealers nearby.....but would have gone with Husqvarna just as easy. Haven't heard negatives on either, so just a matter of bar size and chain type...you might want to consult www.hearth.com for lotsa good saw advice
    Rock of the Marne
    1/30th Infantry, 3rd Infantry Division

11 bravo, thanks for the link. Did a lot of reading over there lots of good info.

I have used alot of different saws but my MS 290 farm boss is a solid saw. Stihl is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. However go and handle a husqy to. They do have a different balance to them.