Thread: My first beehive

Default My first beehive

I have spent some time this year helping my father get back into raising bee's again after being out of it for close to 15 years. He provided 2 empty hives to a local beekeeper early last spring who got them started with a cross between russion and european bee's. We split the hives and wound up with 6 hives this year. Since I live 250 miles away and was interested in getting some hives of my own going my father gave me one last time I visited. Now I have it set up on the back of my property waiting till next spring when I plan to split it again.

From what I am seeing my father doing it is really easy to build hives even though making frames is a PITA. He has primarely used scrap wood some of which he ran through a planner first. Thus included pallets and wood collected from a building site burn pile (Ask first). the only semi large purchase has been foundations to put in frames, and a couple of medicines or beegone that helps to encourage the bee's to go down from super when harvesting honey.

With all the splitting of the hives we still harvested close to 10 gallons of honey this year and plan on robbing 2 more hives in the next couple of weeks. After that all hives will be allowed to build up for the winter.

Not having worked hives before I am really surprised at being able to even without wearing my bee suit. I have taken the top and one supper off mine to add a deep box all while wearing a pair of shorts and loafers only. Did not even get bumped once.

If SHTF I plan on being in the honey and candle business.
    An old West Virginia Hillbilly saying:
    You can't get the water to clear up, until you get the pigs out of the creek.

Very nice. Pics please. I have to gear up or tend to get stung. I am hoping that after the language is changed for my HOA I can get a hive or two back.

Hope you have plenty for them to feed on from spring to fall.

Alabama, fruit and nut trees in spring. Pussy willows. Any number of flowers that would be annual here you have as perennial there.

Lavender makes the best tasting honey and has many other uses as well.
    A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Starship Troopers
    Armageddon was yesterday-Today we have a serious problem.

Well tried to upload pics but for some reason they won't here. Tried to open a photobucket account to provide a link and can't read any of the security words enough to open account.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw_Paw_Drew View Post
    Well tried to upload pics but for some reason they won't here. Tried to open a photobucket account to provide a link and can't read any of the security words enough to open account.
    There should be an audio button you can click on that will read the verification code
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I started with 2 hives last spring and trapped out another one this year. When the honey flow is on and bees are really bringing in the nectar they are usually pretty docile, too busy working and putting nectar in cells to worry about stinging you. Wait until the middle of august and nothing is flowing too good and open that hive up and then you'll think somebody replaced your docile bees with bees from hell. This has been my experience.
    I got Vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    There should be an audio button you can click on that will read the verification code
    That didn't work either. Came through garbled to much. After about 20-30 tries and numerious resetting it my patience just wore out.

Babysister I will wait and see. Currently they seem to be really docile. I am constantly checking on them and sitting down right beside the hive so I can watch their coming and goings. It is facinating to watch and see the bees returning to the hive some with their legs loaded with pollen. I am sure that when the hive gets stronger I probably won't be sitting right next to the hive. Currently I still have the entrance partially since hive is still new. I also lost a few bee's in transporting them from Jackson, Ms to B'ham, Al. I waited a extra day after getting them home to put on the extra deep box because they were stirred up when I opened hive after trip. I remember when my father had the european bees before and while not aggressive these russian mixed seem a lot calmer, the only time I have been stung so far is at night right before closing hive up for trip I was holding a light and it attracted some from hive. Unfortunately one flew up my sleeve and I pressed it into my arm before I realised it. Still wasn't as bad as yellow jacket that got me earlier this year.

I could sit an watch them fly in and out all day. I have tried to follow them to see what sources they were using for pollen and nectar. Just watch a spot and see bees flying and follow them as long as you can then sit and watch that spot and when other bees fly by follow them. I have located bee hives in the woods by doing this method.

The worst beating I ever took from the bees was once I opened them up one morning to harvest some honey, I wasn't able to get it all at that time, so I went back that evening to get the rest of the honey and I guess those bees were not happy about the honey stealing. I got stung 10 times, thru my suit and veil and the bees were all over me. I had to walk to the house and get the water hose and spray myself from the top down to finally get the bees off. This was the only time I have had the bees really upset and aggressive with me. An old timer told me to never go in the hive twice in one day. I learnt that lesson the hard way.

When you taste the honey from your own hives, and see jars of honey sitting on the table glowing in the sunlight, it makes it all worth it.
    I got Vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Babysister I understand sitting and watching for hours. I've been checking mine a couple of times a day and always sit beside the hive to watch the bees coming and going. I finally got a photobucket account set up so here is a bicture of my first hive.

http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/...3D2129ee48.jpg

and here is a picture of a few of my fathers. Couldn't take pictures of all of them as we had moved them to another location.

http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/...3D526f40b0.jpg

Notice all the kudzu in the background of my single hive. It is blooming right now so maybe the bees are utilizing some of its pollen. I hate the stuff but if it feeds the bees and the flowers have a pleasant grape soda smell.
    Last edited by Paw_Paw_Drew; 08-11-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Cammie, I think I read in another thread you talking about flow hive...... I've been watching videos and have two regular hives I haven't started yet. I'm considering adding the flow hives. Would you care to give your take on the flow hives?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.