Thread: My friends realised and is freaking out

Exclamation My friends realised and is freaking out

Me and my friend where playing video games together about this time last week, we got on to the subject of shtf, now he knows I'm a prepper, and until that day he had thought I was mad. Anyways as the conversation developed he begun to realise just how important prepping is. Since then he has begun to prep but is on a really tight budget. I've been trying to help as much as possible but there is only so much I can do
    He got. Together some money and went out and got some supplies, it's a reasonable start, he bought
    - Finnish gas mask
    - 7" hunting knife (I made sure he got one with full tang)
    - 2x 2 liter bottles of water
    - 3x packets of noodles
    - 1x tin of rice pudding
    - 2x cans of kipper fillets
    - 11x cans of baked beans
    - 3x cans of tuna
    - 9x cans of peas
    - 2x large cans of potatoes
    - 2x cans of assorted beans
    - 2x cans of hotdog sausages
    - 2x cans of fruit
    - 2x fans of milk
    - can of curry
    - can of beef and onion
    - can of Tomatoes
    It's very humble beginnings in my opinion but my friend is completely freaking out, he thinks shtf is going to happen this year and thinks he won't survive. He plans on getting an air rifle ( high powered pellet gun) in may. But besides that he's struggling to prep. He has a very tight budget and I really want t help him out but I can't afford to.
    Please give me some advice to relay to him, thanks island p.

Rice and dried beans will take him down the road away's on a tight budget. Just remind him that prepping is also a mental game so he can make up for minimal supplies by acquiring knowledge and skill sets. Too many beginning preppers make the mistake of trying to do it all at once and that just leads to burnout and mistakes. Take it slow and think through the priorities, Water , Food, and Shelter. Just remind him that you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time.
    Preparing so that I may live better today and post shtf.

Well presumably both of you live in Britain where you get a fair bit of rain (though not much this year!). SO you might not have to store as much water than someone who lives in a desert. And you can live a long time if you have enough to drink. So a water filter might be a good purchase.

But one thing that might help him is research, and that doesn't cost anything.

Example:

Use Google or the library to find the locations of the nearest places that have toxic stuff in them. Do you have an industrial estate nearby that uses tanks of chlorine gas, for example? A chlorine spill can cause serious injury or death. Are you near a nuclear power station? Are there pipelines carrying gas nearby?

All of these things can have accidents that can cause serious injuries, deaths, property damage.

Then, you start your 'what if?' "If this happened, what would I need to do?"

That would help to prioritize what supplies you must purchase, and what are of secondary or tertiary importance.

If you are 2km from a works that uses very toxic chemicals is very different than if you live in a housing estate near forest land.

It also helps you to figure out where likely threats will come from, and (even though in some ways you freak more) you also freak less...I don't worry about (say) the sun going nova 'cause it is going to kill me anyway (LOL). I don't worry about an ice age in particular as I'd have warning about that. Living in the suburbs, I do worry about incidents causing folks to flood from the city, etc. What I would worry about is different than if I lived 300km from a town of larger than 10,000 people.

Hope this helps.

Not sure about the air rifle archery might be better... lol but hes gotta start somewhere, have him to start making a list kinda like a budget. Focus on food & have or download some videos on survival & self-defense off the net. Youtube has a bunch. This way he gets a good idea for a few basic tactics, & techniques that stuff can't provide. It will make a bit more secure...

are you able to get to rummage sales not sure how the brits sell off unwanted items there.. but thats a great place to save money on necessities.. for equipment.. and such ..

we have car boot sales, which effectively are about 100 brits parked in a field selling stuff out the back of there cars..... yeh its sounds odd, but its fun!

That's what we call a swap meet.
    Preparing so that I may live better today and post shtf.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfracer View Post
    That's what we call a swap meet.
    And can be a prepper's buffet.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime