Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donkeys for guard duty?

Default Donkeys for guard duty?

Anyone have experience with using donkeys for guarding your goats, sheep, or any other other flocks? Like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly stories. Thanks!
    "Never send a Glock to do a 1911's job."

Only the TSA.

My friend uses them and they are great. He has both a jack and jenny and the jack is super protective of the jenny. They are temperamental, but when I drive up, the jack is Hee-Hawing" like mad. If they get upset, they let everything in a 500 yard radius know they're not happy.

Great thread. I was just discussing this possibility this morning. I want something guarding my deer fawns from Cara Cara.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

we got a full sized jack after we had some coyote trouble.

no more coyotes, but he plays pretty rough with our saanen goats so I made a electric fenced area that they can run under that he can't. Did the same in the barn.

He is loud when he cuts loose. Definitely guards the area from coyotes - pretty much everyone in these parts uses donkeys for this purpose.

He doesn't alert on strange people however.

I have Llama and 8 pigmy goats. Never lost a goat to coyotes. My llama was very gentle with the kid goats. A llama would be gentle with fawns. Dont just get a free one, make sure it will let you halter it and leads/loads well. If they spit they have been abused, find another. If true danger they scream like a banshee otherwise very quiet.

I had a painted Jack with my goats at one time. after two years he decided to start stomping new born kids. So he went away.

Llamas seem to be doing a fine job with know loss for multiple years now, can remember 7 or 8 years.

I don’t know why the Jack got that way, lots of people around here use jacks and Jens with no problems.

I currently lean toward llamas accept for shearing them, however if you want to make your on sweater…
    ‘God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Quote Originally Posted by brushbuster67 View Post
    I had a painted Jack with my goats at one time. after two years he decided to start stomping new born kids. So he went away.

Llamas seem to be doing a fine job with know loss for multiple years now, can remember 7 or 8 years.

I don’t know why the Jack got that way, lots of people around here use jacks and Jens with no problems.

I currently lean toward llamas accept for shearing them, however if you want to make your on sweater…
    I checked out a couple sites and the only problem they had with llamas is they are not designed to beat the crap out of a critter who needs their crap kicked (in terms of their soft hooves and jaw strength)
    Saw a series of pics showing a donkey killing a mountain lion. Figure that's one badass ass. (Sorry, couldn't help that one.)
    Yeah, the aggression toward other animals was mentioned also. Definitely something to watch out for.
    "Never send a Glock to do a 1911's job."

Quote Originally Posted by Straycat1911 View Post
    I checked out a couple sites and the only problem they had with llamas is they are not designed to beat the crap out of a critter who needs their crap kicked (in terms of their soft hooves and jaw strength)
    Saw a series of pics showing a donkey killing a mountain lion. Figure that's one badass ass. (Sorry, couldn't help that one.)
    Yeah, the aggression toward other animals was mentioned also. Definitely something to watch out for.
    was it these pictures? http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/mulelion.asp

I know for a fact that Donkeys will handle coyotes, but a Mountain Lion......that's a not not something I would bet on, in fact my money would be on the mountain lion
    Last edited by Tdale; 03-15-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I've thought of Llamas also, but the long hair concerns me. If caught up in brush, would they get loose, or stand there and die?
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields