View Poll Results: Gardener? Seed saver? Seed stockpile? Check all that apply!!!

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have little to no experience gardening.

12 14.81%
  • I have moderate to alot of experience growing food.

25 30.86%
  • I only ever buy seeds right before the gardening season.

2 2.47%
  • I have saved seeds a few times, or, at least I know how.

32 39.51%
  • I even know how to save seeds from biennials (ex. I know where carrot seeds come from)

19 23.46%
  • I have a significant survival seed stockpile.

40 49.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who has a stockpile of veggie seeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy54 View Post
    Seeds and veggies are not the only sustainable a person can raise and save. MUSHROOMS. A lot of health benefits in different shrooms not to mention flavor. Lions Mane has been used for centuries by the Chinese and helps with dimentia. Real easy to germinate and cultivate. Shiitake can be grown in your kitchen as well as some other oyster mushrooms.
    I buy a lot of different things from fungi.com
    To successful shrooming!
    Ohhhhh Love me some shrooms!! Thanks for the info. How long have you been growing them?
    The only thing more dangerous than ignorance, is arrogance.

I have a seed stock pile and I like to buy from farm coops that sell by the ounce or pound. If you're not just planting in a small raised bed kind of situation, I feel this is one of the best options out there for value / money. I've gotten pounds of radish, beet, lettuce, kale, turnips, carrots, specific corn varieties, beans, etc from anywhere of $2-7 a pound. There are a few seed types that you won't find in coops by the ounce or pound cheaply like tomatoes but for good reason.

Altogether I probably have around 20 pounds of seed currently and I keep them sealed airtight in cool place. I grow a lot of things in excess and whatever we don't eat goes to feed things like rabbits.

Don't stock seeds,,,as said, hard to store, fodder for bugs and critters and they do have shelf life,etc. IMO, seeds will be plentiful PSHTF.....there's more likely there'll other issues with growing crops(OPSEC).

How are they hard to store? It's not much different from storing food.

You keep them sealed in a container, stored in a cool place, away from severe temps / changes. Yeah they have a shelf life but so does a lot of things.

When you live in Florida, you can't keep anything edible anywhere but in the fridge or freezer. The good news is, everything grows all year round, so there's really no need to store seeds. Like I said, I seriously doubt that seeds will be hard to get PSHTF and depending on the shtf, you can't grow if the ground is under water or contaminated. Also, the real issue will be to hide your crops. Right now( and for 100's of yrs) folks will watch you plant your crops and tend to them and when they're ready to harvest, swoop on them overnight. Ask the pot growers if that's how it is.

This about hits the nail squarely on the head. I have been working towards this goal though am about a year behind you. I like your way of thinking and agree with your premise and theory. I'll be expanding my garden variety this year and am looking forward to reworking the ground as I expand into more seasons. Fortunately for me, I can get "into" the ground almost year round because of our geography, unlike the Northern climes where I grew up. I am anxious to begin anew, dispite this being only December, and looking forward to my second planting of Amaranth as well as other vegetables. Really enjoy this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dfassbendersr View Post
    This should be a good topic. I started gardening a couple years ago because of this website. I do not have a large store of long-life foods as my significant other is still in lala land. I do however, put a fair amount of time, energy and knowledge gathering in this aspect of prepping. It too seems normal to the zombies among us (if not extreme), and lets us learn and practice those skills that are sure to be a necessary part of our future.
    I don't think there is enough discussion on this topic. As you've mentioned, seed saving is very involved. And how many folks who purchased these survival seed supplies know enough about separating like plants and cross pollination? I like guns too and the fun part of prepping isn't learning to feed soil for future sustainability, but to look to an uncertain future with a blind eye to the subject seems ridiculous. There are plenty of folks who seem to be doing it right and post their progress here. I'd like to see more.
    I hope more folks chime in here as I love to learn from others' mistakes. Lord knows, I've made enough of my own when I first started to garden. For example, I decided I was going to have a garden two seasons ago. I squared off a large section of my back yard and dug all the grass off and used it in low sections of the front yard. A much easier beginning would to have laid down cardboard and some compost or garden soil and planted in that. I thought I had to get rid of all that grass and weed. Looking back I realize I could have used the decomposing plant-life to help feed the vegi-plants. Instead I stripped it away. How was I to know?
    I'm surprised I had a decent crop that first year. The second was better and I started to save a few seeds last year. If you expect to be able to survive off your gardening skill, you better hone them now.
    This year I'll save more seeds and hopefully my soil structure will be much better and I can expect even higher yields. I expect to be able to space plants closer and I'm even adding 25 self watering buckets to my garden. Though my initial garden was haphazard, I seem to be developing a plan to use my space available for maximum output. Its still very labor intensive though.
    As far as collecting and storing all my seeds. That will probably be a few years off. I plan on buying a emergency seed kit and keeping it for a couple years (if no major shtf events happen), and rotating them in my garden. If and when the s really hits the fan, I'll simply pour more energy in to collecting and keeping seeds for future use. Baby steps is how I plan to proceed.

I have always had a relatively small garden just for a few fresh veggies, but am serious about digging more into this. I bought some seeds at the end of the season last year and am about to start getting the ground ready next weekend in my very small 4x6 raised bed and containers on my deck for tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, peppers, etc. I know nothing about harvesting seeds for re-planting or storing them long term...yet. But I plan on learning a lot here.

Quote Originally Posted by Militia Momma View Post
    But I plan on learning a lot here.
    Indeed, there are a lot of good resources here. One book you might check out is The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency, by. John Seymour that covers smaller-scale agriculture. Its available on various sites in PDF if you don't want to buy a hardcopy. Anyway, I've found it helpful over the years.
    "I never should have made it, but I'm still alive" "Dead End Streets", RevCo

i grew tomato and okra last year.in which i saved seeds from both..i planted some cayenne,habenero,and jalapeno this year.in which i'll be saveing seeds from each of them..

I have two 1 1/2 acre plots I plant every year. I've been gardening and saving/rotating seeds every year from my gardens for so long that I haven't purchased seeds in literally decades. I save seeds from everything, every year. I grow strictly organic. This includes all of my fruit trees, grape vines and root veggies.

Although seeds will last quite a while, I rotate by planting my years previous seeds from my garden, the following season and save seeds from that year to plant the next season. I plant in the ground and in containers. Huge containers.
    If I can make a suggestion, those who have a limited finance, go to a local co-op or feed store where they sell those 25 gallon pots of molasses for cow licks. Most farmers return the empties back to the co-op or feed stores. Most feed store will give them away to save them from having to dispose of them. Some will sell them for dirt cheap, like a dollar each. They make awesome containers. We have issues with potato bugs here so I plant my potatoes in those containers but you can plant anything in them. I also grow my cabbage and squash in them. Drill lots oh holes for good drainage and place them in rows just like you would if you were planting in the ground so they can companion each other. When the growing season is over, just dump all the dirt out of all of them in one big pile on a big tarp, mix it all together and feed the soil. Then refill the pots. I have tons of photos I can share.
    I usually grow 40 pots of potatoes, and get roughly 575 to 700 pounds, 15 pots of yellow squash and 15 pots of zucchini, 10 pots of butternut, ( which as long as I keep harvesting, will keep producing) 20 pots of tomatoes with two plants in each pot. Cabbage grows very well in these pots. One per pot. Green beans do well in them too and so do bell peppers. All of my herbs are grown in these pots.

Most everything else is grown in the ground. I cut 2" PVC about 3' long and stick them a foot into the pots near where the root system will be and water directly into the pipe.
    Because of our location and the direct heat and sun, my gardens are partly covered in strategic places with 60% UV block shade screen. It makes a world of difference and you can grow longer into the summer months, clean out and immediately start your fall crops.

I air dry my seeds all through the summer months and store them in labeled/dated glass jars with cheese cloth over the top where the lids should go and put a rubber band around it to hold the cloth in place. They are kept in my store on the opposite walls from my food stock. The room is kept a cool 65*, dark and dry.( we closed off the AC vents in that room and put a window unit in and blacked out the other window in that room).

We estimate approx a 95% germination rate from our own seeds.

Here's a good explanation on collecting biennial seeds.

Saving carrot seeds is a two-year project because carrots are biennial plants. During the first year, focus on growing the best possible crop of carrots. They will flower and produce seeds the second year. Growers in mild, Mediterranean climates can leave the carrots in the ground during the winter without fear that winter weather will kill the plants. Harvest carrot seeds only from heirloom or open pollinating varieties. Hybrids don't breed true. The seeds mature in late June or July of the second year.

Leave the largest and most vigorous carrots in the ground over the winter at the end of their first season. Thin them to 3 inches apart.
    Prune the carrot tops in the spring of their second year to remove dead and damaged leaves.
    Avoid using insecticides or use those labeled as safe for bees once the flowers appear. Carrots are pollinated by bees and flies.
    Observe the plants carefully a month to six weeks after they are pollinated. The seeds are mature when they turn brown and detach from the umbels. The seeds don't fall to the ground when they detach because they are covered with little hooks that adhere to the plant.
    Cut the seed stalks when about 80 percent of the seeds are mature. The seeds near the top mature first and they are the highest quality. Place the stems top down in paper bags to dry for two to three days.
    Shake the dried stems inside the bag to detach the seeds.
    Store the seeds in a container with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 06-30-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!