Thread: Icom IC-2AT

Default Icom IC-2AT

Does anyone have any experience with the Icom IC-2AT? I'm new to radio (got my ticket a few weeks ago) and would like to start "learning while doing." I have a line on an inexpensive IC-2AT but am wondering if it's worth getting into.

Should I buy it for use a "starter" radio or is it something I'll outgrow pretty quick? I'm also looking at the Wouxun KG-UV2D.

Thoughts? The folks over at eHam.net seem to think it's pretty solid...

The 2AT was a nice enough old radio. Not as good as the 02AT. I'd go with the Wouxun, myself....these days. But my 02AT is still going strong after a couple of battery replacements and almost 30 years
    Good medicine in bad places

Thanks.

I think I may buy both. It's not like either are ridiculously expensive, especially considering that I could get the Icom for $35...

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_Liberal View Post
    Thanks.

I think I may buy both. It's not like either are ridiculously expensive, especially considering that I could get the Icom for $35...
    If the battery and charger are still good, thats a good price. If not, figure twice that more to fix them.
    Good medicine in bad places

Yeah, The batteries can get exensive on the older stuff. Also alot of the Memory batteries on the older ones are soldered in as well. Make sure the memory battery and main battery are good. I have 2 old Icoms, Not big on them. I like Yaesu and Kenwood better.