Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOUXUN KG-UV6D Ham Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    ... unless you limit the power to under .5 watts ERP and only use FRS frequencies and the radio is certified for FRS frequencies (which do not require a license to use)......but I do not think the Wouxun radios are certified for that use.
    FRS radios also may not have a removable/replaceable antenna. You are correct that the Wouxun radios can not and should not be used for FRS frequencies.
    Fred at Wouxun.us is outstanding when it comes to customer service.
    "Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

So what frequencies on this radio can be used without having the HAM license?

The radio at HRO I saw fad an FCC approving plate.

Just because it has an FCC approval doesnt mean you can use it without proper licensing. And no it can not be legally used for FRS due to removable antenna.

There are no frequencies that can legally be used without having a ham or commercial license on these radios. There are lots of folks using part 90 equipment on gmrs but its licensed too. Just get a license its not that hard to get and is only 15$ at most for ham 75 for gmrs

Oh no the test is already taken that wasn't the issue, I just didn't want to post up misguiding information (guess i did anyway).

Anyone that has these, know of any good molle pouch for them?

The belt clip attaches to the MOLLE loops just fine. These are small enough to ride on a shoulder loop or in a shirt pocket too.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryJ View Post
    FRS radios also may not have a removable/replaceable antenna. You are correct that the Wouxun radios can not and should not be used for FRS frequencies.
    Fred at Wouxun.us is outstanding when it comes to customer service.
    That's not entirely correct, the Wouxun Radio CAN transmit on FRS frequencies, weather or not it is "legal" is another question. I will not Lie, I have used mine on FRS talking to one of my kids when we are out at our BOL and I highly doubt the FBI is about to kick in my door to inspect my radio to see if it is in compliance with all applicable laws.

Quote Originally Posted by paramilusmc View Post
    So what frequencies on this radio can be used without having the HAM license?
    You may be able to legally use the MURS frequencies (2 watts and under) and honestly if you used the FRS frequencies on Low power it would be a non issue. No federal agent is going to track down someone transmitting on FRS frequencies (at low wattage) to inspect the radio to ensure it is legal

You could also use GMRS but you are suppose to get a GMRS license if you use those frequencies, no test, just a one time fee......but hardly anyone actually gets the license.

To make my point almost every FRS radio transmits on GMRS frequencies as well, and I would bet less then 1% of people using GMRS frequencies paid for the license. No one is going to Jail for that or you would be locking up almost every kid in America when they used their walkie talkies they got for Christmas.

All that said it would be good for you to get your HAM license, it opens up a whole lot more options for you.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

No offense intended

Operating within the rules is what makes it all work together. Without it the system does not work well and everyone suffers. I see this frequently in emergency services. Just because no one complains does not mean that those operating out of band or in excess of limits are not interfering with others. Intermod and illegally operated traffic can be a real problem. Granted FRS is not life threatening. If a radio could be modified to operate within the guideline, who would know? No one probably. The Wouxon can not. It will not transmit within the allowed power or deviance.
    Any radio can be modified to operate outside its design limits. The Wouxon can be modified via software to operate on many different bands. If SHTF I am capable of modifying equipment for making a contact and with any means I have available , as needed. Until that time I will operate within the guidelines so that the system works as well as possible for everyone.
    You are right, the FCC "radio cops" are not going to come throw you in jail. If a complaint is filed it will be investigated. It will be your pissed off neighbor who turns you in. You will then be notified to stop interfering with radio traffic and asked to correct conditions causing interference. If the situation is not resolved offending equipment may be confiscated and fines levied. A very long and drawn out process, I understand.
    I received the information during my research for narrowbanding VHF/UHF. Non compliance is not seen favorably and a loss of privileges is possible.

I see FRS going the way of the CB. Those modded CB radios amp'd up and blasting over everyone. Rude and improper language. I do use FRS from time to time. I carry a FRS radio when I need it. They are cheap and work better than modding a HT. Using the CTCS you can usually find a quiet place to operate. I'll probably always have an FRS around if needed.

That said, do get your ticket. There is just so much more available in amateur radio. Voice communication, APRS, packet radio, the list goes on...
    It is the primitive internet. Most repeaters will work off grid and if SHTF they will be the means by which we can network. I use primarily VHF voice and APRS. Amateur radios are THE way to go.