Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOUXUN KG-UV6D Ham Radio

Default WOUXUN KG-UV6D Portable Radio

http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=106441

This radio was recommended to me while having a portable hand held radio discussion about a week ago, and wonder if anyone has any experience or opinion about this radio or its huge range of accessories?

He uses it professionally for search and rescue in the mountains.
    Last edited by paramilusmc; 12-12-2011 at 03:11 PM.

I got to play with one at Ham Radio Outlet. It has an odd antenna connector if you want to use others (a simple fix). The controls seemed easy. I hit the local repeater. I want one.

I too am thinking about this radio. My local guy says they are great, and I am reading good reviews for what you get for your money.
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

I have one in 2M/220 and I like the HT. Check out www.radiogearpro.com and you might find one there cheaper. Everyone I know that has one really likes theirs, but they are hard to program manually so I recommend getting the cable and program software to use. Some of the translation in the users manual is lost in the translation from Chinese to English.

I've also heard good things. In addition to what hiker brings up, they can be a little bit quirky with functionality per some of my fellow group members that use them (settings not 'sticking' and modes changing).

I was corrected this morning that this is not a HAM radio (frequency range doesn't qualify it for HAM), and therefore do not need an FCC license in order to operate.

You will need a license to operate it, or work under the licensed frequency of a government , emergency or commercial licensee.
    They can be enabled for amateur operators frequencies via the programming software.
    I have been using the KG-UV2D for both emergency and amateur frequencies. They work great. Our ambulance service has been using them for a year or so now and ordered half a dozen more. They like them too.
    I just found and ordered a stubby antenna for mine.
    You will not be disappointed with the Wouxun radios. Great bang for the buck. Good little radios.
    "Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

Quote Originally Posted by paramilusmc View Post
    I was corrected this morning that this is not a HAM radio (frequency range doesn't qualify it for HAM), and therefore do not need an FCC license in order to operate.
    Both the KG-UV6D and the KG-UV2D will require a license to legally operate unless you limit the power to under .5 watts ERP and only use FRS frequencies and the radio is certified for FRS frequencies (which do not require a license to use)......but I do not think the Wouxun radios are certified for that use. however they are FCC Type 90 Certified

As far as recommending the KG-UV6D I cant speak to it specifically, but I can 100% recommend the KG-UV2D.

I have had my KG-UV2D for over a year now and it is an excellent radio. From what I read the KG-UV6D is almost exactly like the KG-UV2D except the KG-UV6D has 2.5 KHz steps vs 5 KHz steps and the KG-UV6D is IP55 Rated

I have ordered from 409shop before and never had any issues with them other then the sometimes long wait to clear customs, but I would recommend looking at http://wouxun.us/ for your Wouxun radio. If you do have an issue http://wouxun.us/ is U.S. based VS. the China based 409shop and you will receive greater support should you need it while helping out a U.S. Based business
    Last edited by Tdale; 12-12-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    Check out www.radiogearpro.com and you might find one there cheaper..
    those prices on he radios are higher than other sites, might wanna check around too

I know several folks who have the ham version, both 2M and 2M/70cM's. Other than needing the software to help program them, I've heard nothing but good reports on them.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13