Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my moat / fish pond has filled up (pic heavy)

Default my moat / fish pond has filled up (pic heavy)

this June we began the process of creating a couple of ponds which would be dual purpose - fish raising and also serve as a moat to hinder vehicular / walking access to the house.

this the house from the road. the new pond is now directly in front of the house .

this is the driveway leading up to the house before we started.

There already was a bit of a small pond on one side which was more of a swamp in summer when the water levels are lowest.

one objective was to create a very deep pond with very steep banks that would make impossible to wade across:

In sept we introduced a few hundred fish - minnows, bluegill, bass & catfish

to the great amusement of our goats

once the leaves fell off the trees and the transpiration stopped, water began to drain off the mountain into the lake. This last week we got lots of rain and the pond gained about 4 feet of depth in about a week and reached its maximum level.

this is the old upstream pond which is now much larger, deeper and floods quite an area.

this is the main pond (downstream) that backs up thru an existing culvert under the driveway to impound the older pond. about 75 feet wide and 300 feet long and about 20-25 feet deep

the next step will be to build the walls on each side a couple of feet higher and raise the level of the driveway as it crosses the moats by about a foot. This will produce a sheer wall on both sides about 4 feet high that drops off into water on each side of about 10 feet deep, so someone will have to swim to get close to the house.

finally we will install a gate across the narrowest point which is 14 feet wide. this will prevent vehicular access. this point is about 75 yards from the house.

this was a pretty big and expensive project and we only undertook it after feeling our other preps were at such levels that we felt this was a reasonable thing to do.

it is also a reflection of my changing opinion that the most likely shtf is not EMP / pandemic, etc but more likely to be burglary / home invasion due to economic collapse.

Excellent job, Sir! Looks great, I wish I had a place like that, is an understatement.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry

Any Man Who thinks He Can Be Prosperous By Letting The Government Take Care Of Him, Better Take A Closer Look At The American Indian

OK.
    WOW!
    That is awesome bro.
    No kidding.

I live on about 30 acres on would LOVE to have my own ponds and fish.
    Setting it up as "mote" at the same time is an awesome idea.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing the pics!

hey, thats great news! how is it going on the hydro scheme?

Bugs? Snakes? otherwise, I like it!
    If you want happiness for a day go fishing, a year inherit a fortune, for a lifetime help others.

Looks tactically sound on this end

put the walls in lining the driveway has the potential to funnell the baddies into a shooting corridor.

If it was me and had not allready done so. I would be setting up some targets along the drive way and practice shooting from what ever positions you have determined to be best from your house and marking down distances.

There is one other thing I would do for the driveway but that is for PM and not public discussion.

You have done awesome.
    We appreciate you sharing.

-J
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

I'll bring my fishing pole . Looks cool did you get to drive the loader?
    A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Starship Troopers
    Armageddon was yesterday-Today we have a serious problem.

ogun,
    still looking at the hydro system.
    made the decision that the moat was more of a priority than the hydro because I am more worried about burglary / home invasion than grid down.

universe,
    bugs are good cause the chickens love them.
    snakes everywhere regardless of this pond.

alaska
    put the walls in lining the driveway has the potential to funnell the baddies into a shooting corridor.

If it was me and had not allready done so. I would be setting up some targets along the drive way and practice shooting from what ever positions you have determined to be best from your house and marking down distances.
    part of the whole idea. the walls that will frame the choke point will be low on the inbound side and gradually rise to about 8 feet tall behind the gate and flare out side to side on my side of the gate. These walls won't provide cover to intruders cause the only way to hide behind them would be to stand in 10 foot deep water.

The gate will open outward and close against some pretty solid pillars so that it would take a pretty powerful vehicle to push thru. Ideally I would re route the approach to introduce an S turn so that they would not be able to get up a high speed run as is the case now, but that starts to get into diminishing returns.

There is one other thing I would do for the driveway but that is for PM and not public discussion.
    Love to hear it !!