Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a camp on the family property where it doesn't belong.

Default Found a camp on the family property where it doesn't belong.

The other day my father in-law mentioned that my brother in-law had seen a camp set up in a ravine just about 300 yards from his south house.
    Nobody has permission to camp on the land except immediate family, and then only when letting the old man know. He has 25 acres and this camp is set up in a ravine/valley on the property. Today I did a recon on the camp hoping to make contact and advised the person/group they needed to vacate the private land. The person who set up the camp did so with not being seen in mind. The back half of the shelter was a tent. Over the entrance to the tent, to small trees had been bent to form a support for a large tarp. From that support a small tree had been cut down and used as a spine with to other small trees used as supports. The from of the structure used to trees for support. several scrap boards were used one of which looked as though shooting ports had been made. At the entrance to the structure is a fire pit, with a large metal box, being used as a fire shield to redirect heat into the shelter and to hide the fire. There was a dual bladed axe and a fishing knife along with several poles. A large amount of para-cord was also found on site. My father in law keeps a stocked pond not far from the location of this camp, deer also run through the area, (I startled 3 on my way to the camp.). I looked around for the possibility of a fire arm, Ammunition, casing etc, and found none. This camp is set up as if for a long term stay. Before I approached the camp I watched it for an hour before approaching, looking for any movement etc. I took several pictures the camp, I will post those later.

We intend to make contact, and let these people/person know they need to vacate, or we will have the sheriff remove them.

I did take away several things from this little trip.

1) I really need to work on my quiet walking through the woods.

2) I should have had someone with me to cover the camp as I approached, in retro, this could have gone really badly.

Djestr

scarey.... put up some hunting cameras...

After contact, did they agree to leave peaceably?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry

Any Man Who thinks He Can Be Prosperous By Letting The Government Take Care Of Him, Better Take A Closer Look At The American Indian

That idea has been brought up. We do know the camp is in use, the coals from the fire were still warm,

Choctaw,

We have not made contact as of yet. No one was there when I approached. I am going to try again tomorrow.

Could be the camper was doing recon on you while you were doing recon on the camp. If you weren't quiet, and your family just realized he was there, he may have seen or heard you coming. Next time you go, I'd take no less than 3 people, and perhaps 4-5. In fact, if might be best to take the sheriff out there with you.
    Those who do evil to others - the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists - you will come to know me well. Call me... The Punisher.

Quote Originally Posted by djestr View Post
    Choctaw,

We have not made contact as of yet. No one was there when I approached. I am going to try again tomorrow.
    When you go back, make a sign and post it in the camp.

If they want to avoid you personally, you are still putting them on notice. Get the sheriff if they fail to vacate within 24 hours. Better to be aggressive on this than not, as numerous issues can arise the longer you wait.
    Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.

Why not just have the Sheriff's department handle it? You don't know what the occupants are up to, so caution should be exercised.
    "I never should have made it, but I'm still alive" "Dead End Streets", RevCo

I agree!! Post the area VERY WELL!!!! With private property signs. I would also leave a nice little note giving 24 hour notice. Then, RING RING Hello Sheriff's Dept!!!!
    "WHEN IN DOUBT...... EMPTY THE MAG"
    JayBird

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    Why not just have the Sheriff's department handle it? You don't know what the occupants are up to, so caution should be exercised.
    This...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...