Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to cut/trim a fiberglass base antenna

In the continuing saga of this antenna... I cut my partner's antenna to the proper length, but then when I went to cut mine I discovered that the upper rod of the two rods inside the radome was actually meant to slide down into the lower hollow rod by loosening another setscrew in the joint between the two sections. Then the top rod just slides down inside the bottom rod. Oh well. Live-n-learn.

Can we talk about grounding for a minute? I've read all kinds of posts on ham forums about grounding and it seems like way overkill for my application. I'm not to worried about lightning; I have plenty of tall pine trees year-round around me up in the mountains and I'm not mounting the antenna up very high. Probably just on a 5' mast on the roof. I found a lightning arrestor for $4.95 that's just a male/female PL-259 with a couple of screw terminals on the side to attach a ground wire. (Hm.. At the antenna end or the radio end?) Do you guys think that's sufficient?
    Last edited by MT_Rick; 09-28-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--. . . ."

run your antenna feedline past your ground rod, connect your arrestor to your ground rod. feedline through arrestor, back to shack. done.

You're better off with the ones that mount directly to your ground rod. If you can't do that, consider a copper braid ground strap to connect it to ground.

I have a wire pretty much just laid out on my roof. Not higher than the vents on the roof, all of it well below treeline. I'm not to worried about lightning. But I do disconnect my antenna when I'm not using it.