Thread: Animal pulled Plows

in BFE (meaning out in the middle of nowhere)

Default Animal pulled Plows

With the coming of super high fuel prices and great economic instability is anyone reverting to old manual plows and antique farm equipment so you already have a handle on things when fuel prices are so high you cannot afford the tractor fuel?

I am proud to report my nephew and one of the workers sons plowed a few acres this year using an old plow pulled by a pack mule. It was fun to watch and get the hang of it again not to mention all the great exercise

Probably a good thing to know how to do. I saw a pair of draft mules for sale a while back with all tack and a wagon. If I had a place at home, I would grab them. Then I would need some implements.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Huh I haven't seen that done since the Gary Cooper in Sgt York. It didn't look easy either.
    ...because without American there is no free world...you betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    Huh I haven't seen that done since the Gary Cooper in Sgt York. It didn't look easy either.
    It's not as hard as it looks but it also depends on how fertile or turned the soil already is. I mean if the ground is super hard, then yea I'm sure it would be a much harder job but where my Nephew plowed the ground was soft and already much easier to work. This makes all the difference in the world

I wish I knew how to do video editing and upload them and I would actually post videos of this.

I have started collecting some horse drawn hay making equipment. A #9 McCormick mowing machine, an old dump rake, I also have an old disc. Currently looking for a couple different plows and a sled.
    Then I gotta get horses or mule's to work with.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    I have started collecting some horse drawn hay making equipment. A #9 McCormick mowing machine, an old dump rake, I also have an old disc. Currently looking for a couple different plows and a sled.
    Then I gotta get horses or mule's to work with.
    I would suggest getting as much equipment as you can and having it all in good working order then worry about who has the horse or mule, animals will be much easier to come by than that type of equipment IMHO

Hey Von! Do you think a heavy duty goat could pull one of those plows?

its a interesting thought. Tho I dont have room for the 4 legged critters. I have come across some pull "implements" that i have though about getting.

when you start really thinking about getting back to some basic concepts in living I am more and more thinking it will be easier to prep certain things with the mind set of pairing up with others that have the other things.

I can prep tac and rigging and my farmer friend can prep the mules/yaks/horses.
    This i think would lead to a good partnership