Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fire Ants-Beware they almost killed me yesterday!

if there is one thing i HATE,, it's them darn fire ants. they will walk 5 miles to gang up and bite me all over, and it makes bad sores for 2-3 weeks. after moving to the country, i noticed right off i didn't have hardly any fire ants around. i guess the reason is i'm right on a sandy creek, and the soil is real sandy in my yard. the mounds collapse with heavy rain, so thank goodness not many about. occasionally i see a fresh mound, and i pour a pot of boiling water on it. lots of folks pour used motor oil on the mounds, or if they have a lot in the same area, they stir them up with a shovel and throw a shovel full from one nest on another. the occupants will kill off any intruders. yep,, i hate me some fire ants, God's curse on mankind.
    ''the heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left'' Ecclesiastes 10:2 [ NIV ]

Tomorrow it will be a wee. I am following up with a Dr at the end of the week. I think I may have nerve damage though. My wife is a nurse and she is thinking its nerve damage anyway. I still have a little bit of numbness on my feet and tip of my tongue. This really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Archie View Post
    occasionally i see a fresh mound, and i pour a pot of boiling water on it. lots of folks pour used motor oil on the mounds, or if they have a lot in the same area, they stir them up with a shovel and throw a shovel full from one nest on another. the occupants will kill off any intruders. yep,, i hate me some fire ants, God's curse on mankind.
    If you're against using chemicals, try putting a cupful of dry laundry soap on the mound then put a garden hose to the mound for a few minutes. The soap does something to their exoskeletons and they drown. Boiling water is good, but if the colony is deep, it may not reach the bottom of it.
    I've never had the soap thing not work.
    What this forum is all about:
    Share your expertise and enjoy the camaraderie. "Share what you know, learn what you don't."

Well its been a little over a week and I am just starting to feel like myself again. I went camping on Myrtle Beach in my RV for a few days to relax a bit. While there I got bit by another freaking ant. This one did nothing at all to me. I guess its that type of ant that got me. I am not against nuking the ants at all. Screw them litte freaks of nature.

Glad to hear you're okay.
    A really good friend of mine had the same incident when we were younger. Species was unknown because apparently there are several species/ sub-species in FL alone.
    The little dark red 'let's-bite-in-unison' buggers are known as the red imported fire ant, but there are plenty of others. I remember being bit by a single ant that caused unbelievable pain then numbness.

I miss FL, but if there is one thing that state can do without...
    Your friendly local Conservative Libertarian Irish Scottish Filipino Redneck.

Uh huh!

most in a small town in the middle north of Germany

Hi
    keeping the cellphone saved your live,- here some practical ideas.
    We are in a big firm in a business with a, lets say "increased" risk of injury. For emergency cases there were clear rules made:
    1. We have an internal agreement, everybody has stored under the same name ICE 1 (In Case of Emergency1) the person you want to get informed at emergencys. In Smartphones we use a special "personalized" emergency ringtone. Everybody knows it, and even in a lunchbreak with more than fifty people, after the first ring you can hear a needle falling.
    2. There are only two types (Models) of cellphones in the firm, which everybody can handle.
    3. The person will not be told what exactly happend, only that they will be picked up imediately. The called person will be picked up and is not allowed to drive himself.

These rules are spreaded from firm to firm and I think the idea is pretty good and can be spreaded and developed futher.
    ...nothing is that bad, that it cannot turn worse....